[SOLVED] Overclocking Ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspropst

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
So, I thought the first ram set I bought for my new build wouldn't fit under the heatsink and ordered a second. Found out they both will and I'm kind of in a bind since they're not the same stats so I can't just choose my favorite brand.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Cas 8, timing 8-8-8-24

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Cas 9, 9-10-9-27

Both 1.5V, both dual channel, both unbuffered, both XMP ready, both lifetime limited warranty. Motherboard supports up to 2133 on overclock. I know the Corsairs can get up to 2000-2100, not sure on the G.Skill on overclocking. So questions:

(1) What can this particular G.Skill overclock to, if anyone knows?
(2) Should I take the G.Skill or the Corsair depending on the answer to (1).

beenthere

Distinguished
It's difficult to answer your question because how high of frequency the RAM will OC is dependent on your particular DIMMs, mobo and CPU. The only means to really know is to try OC'ing them with your mobo/CPU.

Keep in mind that many mobo BIOS automatically limit the RAM frequency to the CPU default speed when all four RAM slots are occupied, so you may not be able to OC any RAM when using four DIMMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS