Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Another GTX260 vs GTX275

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 13, 2009 5:50:36 AM

Hi, I'm going to buy a new PC. After a lot of googling in forums and reviews decided to buy a GTX260 or a GTX275, but which one is better ?

Here is the pros and cons of the GTX275 :

-Pros : more cores and shader units; optimized for OpenGL 3.0; about 15% faster [~10-20 frames per second] than GTX260; beats the GTX280/285 easily.
-Cons : its about $30 more expensive than GTX260 in my country for same brand; its very hot on work load [90' c], about 20' c hotter than GTX260.

I'm going to use the new PC 8 hours ahead [no shutdown/standby] heavily for rendering and gaming purpose with a 22" monitor [LG W2261V] and I don't want to OC/SLI the card or use special cooling systems.

IMHO GTX260 will be the right choice, cooler and acceptable performance, but in other hand I'm getting a GTX28x by buying the GTX275 [$100 cheaper].

Which brand is better : ASUS, GIGABYTE, Club3D, Sparkle, XFX

Regards, Siavash

More about : gtx260 gtx275

August 13, 2009 6:55:52 AM

I am stucked on the same thing myself.

Try to get this:

BFG Overclocked GTX275
or
EVGA Superclocked GTX275

They are already factory overclocked.
I run at Full HD 1080p a GTX275 Far Cry 2 at Max. 8X FSAA.with a q9550.

No problems.
But make sure that your case has good cooling. like Cooler Master HAF932.
August 13, 2009 7:09:31 AM

Thanks a lot for help, I'm going to use the same settings : Full HD monitor + Q9550 ;) 

Cooler Master HAF932 looks great, may I know on which temperature your GTX275 is running? [Max details]
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 13, 2009 3:12:49 PM

siavashserver said:
its very hot on work load [90' c], about 20' c hotter than GTX260.



Not true in all cases.
For example ,I live in a sub-tropical country and the temps are around 35-40c. But my Zotac 9800GT Idles at 51c and Load 73c.
though others have said that it easily goes 90c while gaming.


IMO get the GTX 275.
August 14, 2009 9:47:58 AM

Either card is great, it depends no your budget. The 260 is cheaper and the 275 is a little more. Get what you can afford or want to invest. Can I say PC parts are an investment? haha
August 14, 2009 9:49:40 AM

My cards also idle around 54C and load up to 90C. They put out lots of heat.
August 14, 2009 11:09:46 AM

siavashserver said:
Hi, I'm going to buy a new PC. After a lot of googling in forums and reviews decided to buy a GTX260 or a GTX275, but which one is better ?

Here is the pros and cons of the GTX275 :

-Pros : more cores and shader units; optimized for OpenGL 3.0; about 15% faster [~10-20 frames per second] than GTX260; beats the GTX280/285 easily.
-Cons : its about $30 more expensive than GTX260 in my country for same brand; its very hot on work load [90' c], about 20' c hotter than GTX260.

I'm going to use the new PC 8 hours ahead [no shutdown/standby] heavily for rendering and gaming purpose with a 22" monitor [LG W2261V] and I don't want to OC/SLI the card or use special cooling systems.

IMHO GTX260 will be the right choice, cooler and acceptable performance, but in other hand I'm getting a GTX28x by buying the GTX275 [$100 cheaper].

Which brand is better : ASUS, GIGABYTE, Club3D, Sparkle, XFX

Regards, Siavash


If you want good performance, then I would go for the GTX275, but if you're trying to keep your computer cool, then the GTX260 would be the choice. I personally would choose the GTX 275 because of its performance, but its up to you. ASUS or XFX would be a good choice.
August 15, 2009 6:16:15 AM

mayur4n said:
If you want good performance, then I would go for the GTX275, but if you're trying to keep your computer cool, then the GTX260 would be the choice. I personally would choose the GTX 275 because of its performance, but its up to you. ASUS or XFX would be a good choice.
Any ideas about this MSI N275GTX Twin Frozr OC ? Idle : 39c , Peak : 72c , Ambient : 28c

Personally I'll go with the GTX260 regards to its low temperature [75c on peak] , but this one looks brilliant regards to its cooling system and beats EVGA ones easily :heink: 
August 15, 2009 7:55:36 AM

Don't worry about the temps with any of the cards.
They are made to withstand high temps for long time.

And you have 3-5 yrs warranty on any card.
August 15, 2009 9:12:20 AM

Perhaps [80%] will go with the MSI one, OCed and nice cooling. BTW, any ideas are welcome.

Thanks a lot.
August 15, 2009 3:28:47 PM

siavashserver said:
Any ideas about this MSI N275GTX Twin Frozr OC ? Idle : 39c , Peak : 72c , Ambient : 28c

Personally I'll go with the GTX260 regards to its low temperature [75c on peak] , but this one looks brilliant regards to its cooling system and beats EVGA ones easily :heink: 



You can try this website which has a review and a few benchmark scores :) 
[http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...]
August 15, 2009 4:13:25 PM

mayur4n said:
You can try this website which has a review and a few benchmark scores :) 
[http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...]

Thanks a lot, it was so useful! MSI N275GTX Twin Frozr OC beats the non-OCed 4890 by 5%, but here comes a new warrior : ASUS EAH4890 HTDI 1GD5

Its much more cooler than original 4890 and provides good OCing capabilities with lower price. Unfortunately couldn't find a face2face review of both ASUS and MSI cards :??: 

TOMSHARDWARE, PLEASE REVIEW THEM ^_^
August 15, 2009 5:36:51 PM

siavash jan, its worth spending the extra 30 dollars for the gtx275, and if you have a well ventilated case, the temperature shouldnt cause any harm. Mine doesn't raise more than 70C, but I have played around with the settings :) 


w2261v is excellent monitor, I had one of those in the past.
have you tried looking at www.rayansaba.com for prices?
August 15, 2009 5:46:13 PM

meewog said:
siavash jan, its worth spending the extra 30 dollars for the gtx275, and if you have a well ventilated case, the temperature shouldnt cause any harm. Mine doesn't raise more than 70C, but I have played around with the settings :) 


w2261v is excellent monitor, I had one of those in the past.
have you tried looking at www.rayansaba.com for prices?
Merci, I've looked at their prices on rayansaba, ATI one is about $340 same price as Sparkle GTX275 [can't find the MSI one]. May I know which brand are you using? Are you using special case with cooling systems?

I'm just going to buy this case : Green Silent Storm which IMHO has great airflow in the case. Do you have any ideas about the case?

Thanks a lot for help ;) 
August 15, 2009 5:52:15 PM

also why do you want to buy an o/c version?
dont worry about the temps, it was designed like this. It can handle the heat. I've read the danger zone for it is in 120c. One of the reasons why it runs hot is because the fan speeds up after it has reached hight temps. I made some rules in my nvidia control panel to turn the fan to 80% when the temp reaches 60c. As said before, get XFX or other good brand. The only thing is, I dont think the lifetime guarantee works in Iran.
August 15, 2009 5:54:59 PM

The ultimate case for me was the coolermaster HAF 932. IT is excellent for cooling. You can hear the insides of your computer, but its good to hear what you have payed for. In a ferrari, you like to hear the engine right? :D 

My graphic cards are XFX, very very good support, came with farcry2 and 3dmark vantage :) 
mokhles
August 15, 2009 6:06:49 PM

Well, the only reason that concerns me about the temperatures is that I'm going to use the PC about 8 hours ahead without any rest and there isn't any good utilities such as RivaTuner under Linux platform to control the fan speed and temperatures.

Also setting the GPU fan speed to the 80% will sound like a Ferrari without mufflers :) 

Excuse me how much $ is a HAF 932?

ghorbune you ;) 
August 15, 2009 6:10:58 PM

I use the default NVIDIA control panel for fan control, does that work under linux? I've actualy noticed that my cousins gigabye 4870 fan on 100% sounds alot noisier and higher in pitch than mine on 100%, his actualy sounds like a blow dryer! but as I said, noice doesnt bother me at all, its a matter of opinion realy :D 

My pc is usualy running 3-4 before getting a restart, don't worry about temps:) 
Did you choose the case?
August 15, 2009 6:16:01 PM

It's better to don't account on Linux drivers because they are buggy or working in generic mode most of the times. I don't have any ideas about the case, but Green Silent Storm looks nice regards to its low price and support [$65 , half price of the HAF 932]
August 15, 2009 6:20:42 PM

the pictures look nice, is there a full tower version? from this angle looks to be too narrow to fit a gtx 260-275 in... check before you buy :D 
August 15, 2009 6:32:19 PM

Didn't check them, but its worth the money. ASUS 4890 looks foxy regards to its design and those fans :)  Just asking myself why shouldn't go with a trusted and high quality brand when the performance difference is less than 5%.

One of friends recommends to buy a mobo with AMD chipset if I'm going to buy an ATI one. Does it really matter which chipset to use? ATI GPU -> AMD MoBo -> AMD CPU -> DDR3 Memory [Should use AMD x4 955 but Q9550 will beat that with slightly difference + old DDR2 memory]

I'm going to buy a Q9550 + one of following mobos :
ASUS P5Q : Intel P45 - if I'm going to buy the nVidia one
ASUS P5E : Intel X38 - if I'm going to buy the ATI one [X38 has another extra slot for CrossFire for adding another GPU later]

BTW, thanks a lot for help ;) 
!