Very high stock i7-860 temperatures

Eightname

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Hi all! I recently bought a new CPU cooler and before installing it I wanted to see what the stock one is capable of. I ran Prime95. After 4 minutes 45 seconds I stopped Prime95 because CPU reached 97 degrees. Is this normal? No overclocking was done. My case is Antec 900 so I guess there is enough airflow. Thanks for useful answers in advance!

Eightname

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Well... It's a custom PC, but it was assembled by the retailer, so i don't know anything about heatsink's installation quality.

Eightname

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
The exhaust fan exhausts cool air (even while CPU is 97 degrees), so I guess air isn't hot in the case.
About calling the retailer and asking for a fix... Is it worth it if I was going to install an aftermarket cooler? (Does a cooler installation void CPU waranty?) I may install it and if high temperatures persist, then I guess the CPU is the fault.
P.S. My new cooler is Thermalright HR-02 Macho, I'll use the thermal paste wich came with it. Should I apply it on cooler or CPU, and how should i apply it?

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
to be honest mate i would not use the thermal paste that came with it. Its not very good. Get some ARTIC SILVER 5 its very cheap and is one of the best. Makes all the dfiference.

read guide link above

Eightname

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

I guess this paste is good but... I can't find it in my country's stores. Some examples of what stores supply here:
NEXUS THERMAL COMPOUND 30%SILVER 1G
ZALMAN STG2 SUPER THERMAL GREASE
Arctic Cooling MX-2
Noctua NT-H1

jik771971

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hi everyone.

I'm having the same problem with approx. the same temps. Will someone please be so kind, and help me sort out why this is happening?
My computer is a standard Acer Aspire M7720 Midi tower with Stock Processor

Intel i7 920 2.67 Ghz stock (no oc'ing)
Intel® X58 chipset + ICH10R
12 GB DDR3 RAM (Hynix 2GB x 6)
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
Gigabyte GTX 560 ti so stock overclock @ 950 mhz
Label Flash 20x DVD-RW
multi-in-one Card reader
Standard PSU 750w Delta PS2 ex series (GPS-750AB A)
23" Fujitsu Amilo sl 3230t max. 1920 x 1080
7.1 surround audio + Bose Companion 5 speakers
logitech gaming mouse G500 and Logitech gaming keyboard G11
Fritz USB W-Lan n standard
Front panel LED Media control center.
I have only one 120mm fan in the back + PSU fan + 1 CPU fan + ca. 60mm fan attached to mainboard

I basically use this computer for everything at an average of 12 Hrs. a day, but mostly for data encryption, downloading/converting/watching HD films and gaming. I began watching over my system approx. a month ago, when I installed Sisoft Sandra Lite. So, I have no idea when the overheating began, because it was already present. Anyway, Sisoft Sandra reported that the mainboard temps were between (82-85° at a near full load) and (50-52° approx. 15 minutes after start). I took my system apart and thoroughly cleaned it again. Then I checked to see if the fans were working. The system fan is running at 1152 RPM. The Processor Fan is running at 2052 RPM and the 2nd is running at 940 RPM. I don't know if these fan speeds are enough to cool the system. So far, I can not control the fan speeds which are running approx. at 50%. The mainboard temp. right now is at 95°. (I let this PC sit for well over 3 Hrs. and the temp only went down 3°.) The 1st processor sensor reads 47° and the secondary processor sensor says 26°.
Anyway, I began to dig a little deeper and took the CPU cooler off and noticed that the thermal paste was dried up. So, I removed the old paste, thinking that was the problem, and applied Revoltec Cooling Thermal Grease Nano on the whole area with a thin coating. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the problem, because the high temps are still persisting.
I don't understand why the processor temps are so low and mainboard temps are so high. I almost forgot something. When I first opened the case, I noticed that a lot of heat was coming from the PSU. I don't know if that means anything. Is it possible that I'm overloading this system in some way? Too much data for the CPU? Not enough power supply? Faulty mainboard? or is this a cooling problem? Is my mainboard savable? I'd greatly appreciate some helpful advice.

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
well im not expert on mainboard temps but In my opinion, if it was 90 odd degree I am pretty sure it would naff it. It could be inaccurate, look in the bios for mainboard temps.

As for the cooling, 85 degree is rather high, get some decent intake fans mate, have a look at scythe gentle typhoon i think its called, one of the best.

Also reapply some decent thermal paste such as artic silver 5 or mx 2.

Use coretemp to monitor the temps and report back

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

go for the mx2 mate, sorry for late reply