Is it a sin to pair AMD and NVIDIA?

Rocket254

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I'm a month or so away from a new build. Unfortunately, its going to have a budget :)

For price reasons, I'm leaning towards a Phenom II X4 955 BE instead of an equivalent Intel.

I've always been an NVIDIA person and want a GTX card. Possibly a 285. Would it be a sin to pair these two together? Of course, I'll be giving up SLI but given the fact that I , at the earliest, upgrade every 2 years, wont there be some new DX11 (or 12) card out there that by itself will beat me SLI
d 285s to pieces?

The 285 is a waste of money in terms of price to performance compared to a 275......

I have an AMD board (Asrock 780a tri-sli) and it is currently running dual GTS 250's in sli, and to tell ya the truth as far as bang 4 buck it does not get any better than this....I am very happy with the outcome IMO.....

It would be a sin to pay for a mb with multiple pci-e x 16 slots if you are going AMD/nVidia

Its also minor sin to build using a 955 on a budget . Buy a 945 instead . They OC to the same level and are the exact same bit of silicon

The 955s are higher binned and it's easier to overclock just using the multiplier and vcore while there are multiple factors to consider with overclocking solely with the FSB.

hehe I disagree on both, but then again that's me.....

Its not difficult to OC using FSB and it has some advantages in terms of system performance .

In the case of Phenom it also allows you to keep cool and quiet active which will turn off if you change the multiplier .
Are 955's binned higher ? Maybe . But probably not when the top OC's of both processors are very very similar . When you buy a 955 you pay extra for very little if anything

OvrClkr may have a point though . A mb with additional pci-e slots does let you change your mind about ATI crossfire later on

jbakerlent

Distinguished
It's great but if you don't plan on crossfiring the FX has too many features and you could save some money buying going with say a GX. If you do want to crossfire (or don't mind spending the extra money) it's a great board.
(Edit: plus it has a nice combo: Here)

The only reason i chose to pair an AMD with an nvidia chipset is due to the fact that I had an 850 dollar budget, already own an i7 Rig and wanted to build the best bang4buck AMD PC with a list of parts that i normally use for all most of my builds. Of course part of the plan was to see how much faster the i7 was over the 550 in games, cinibench, encoding to 1080p, etc......

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
275s run warmer than any other gtx200 card in the series, the coolers are junk.

also, the moment you put an nvidia card in an amd based machine, a tear in the space-time continuum forms. we will surely all perish.