Windows xp won't recognize usb flash drive, needs software installed

skwd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hello,
My dad recently purchased a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive. When he tried to use it the first time he was sent through a number of message boxes to install some software; he didn't think it was supposed to need software so the installation was stopped. Now his computer (a Dell Inspiron 1501, Windows XP) won't recognize the flash drive. I tried the drive in my computer (hp mini210, windows 7)and it automatically installed the software in 2 seconds and was ready to use. But on my dad's computer, the drive is not at all recognized anywhere, and I don't know how to get it to a)recognize it and b)install that software. I looked through the forums and I'm considering uninstalling the USB drivers, but I'm not sure that's the best way to go. Advice? Thanks!

Older OS, like XP, need drivers to install in order to recognize newer hardware. You could uninstall the USB drivers, then re-install them. Make sure you have downloaded all the files needed for re-installation before you do that. Also, you could find additional drivers on SanDisk's website.