What mobo/cpu combo?

freakaccident

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
I am in the process of upgrading my current system and am looking for suggestions on mobo/cpu combos. I currently have a Gigabyte EP45-ud3p with a q9440 2.66 OCd to 3.6 on air in an ATCS 840 chassis.

I have ordered a new case, HAF X, and an XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 CPU cooling system.

What would be an affordable yet powerful mobo/cpu combo? I am partial to the Gigabyte mobos. I have never used an AMD chip before but they seem to be much more affordable.

I am currently looking at:
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX
+
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
$319.98

What about memory?

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!!!

EDIT - PSU is a Corsair TX650w

freakaccident

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
l called gskill in taiwan and couldn't have had more fun tonight. Originally I called to check mobo/cpu/mem compatibility. All of this is from memory and isn't word for word.

The first dude "Ken" said they were starting their lunch break and I needed to call back. I kept the convo going for a few minutes.

Me: "What are you having for lunch?"
Ken: "Rice, like American Chinese food"
Me: "Gross. I hope you are kidding."
Ken: "Yes, Please call back in 30 minutes."

Second call:

Operator: "*%*&^(*&^"
Me: "Can I please speak with Ken?"
Operator: "We don't have a Ken"
Me: "Want to check compatibility"
Operator: *transfers*
Matt: "hi"
Me: *check comp blah blah*
Matt: "Comp ok"
Matt: "Wait a month. A new and better ? will be out next month. I can't tell you anymore but wait."
Me: "Please?"
Matt: "No!"
Me: "What did you have for lunch?"
Matt: "Noodles"
Me: "What time is it it?:
etc etc etc

Soooo a new fancy "something" is coming out of gskill next month.

EDIT- I have an audio recording of the second phone call. It is from my Android phone and my voice is very loud in comparison but you can hear "Matt" if your volume is turned up. I would give this recording to someone with the skills to redo it properly. Let me know.

freakaccident

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
FYI - I built this system and it screams. The AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban is just amazing. I'm still fine tuning but I am stable at 4.3 for now. I played Crysis 2 for 4 hours the other night and was mesmerized at the difference even though I am using the same HD5770 vid cards in xfire. Good package for cheap money.

The XSPC liquid kit could have been more user friendly with the waterblock and instructions. IE: There were no instructions. I had to use pieces from the Intel parts kit to make it all work. There were nice clear color instructions for Intel though if you go that route. Very happy with the result though.

FYI - I used the black intel screws and the Intel springs with the AMD block plate and the backing plate that came with the mobo. There was no AM3 backing plate with the kit.

TRENDING THREADS