Belkin KVM switch keyboard overload?

alcdotcom

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Are there any known issue where USB KVM switch has problems when a key is constantly depressed for more than 2-3 seconds? I hope so because I'd hate to be one of the first to experience the problem. I first noticed it when playing Unreal Touranament 2003 after installing the switch. If I hold down any key for more than 2-3 seconds it stops working until I let off and redepress it. For example, say I'm running forward by holding down the "W" key. Well If I run for more than 2-3 seconds it just stops. It's the same with Jedi Knight 2. I also tried holding down several different keys in MS Word and sure enough, it stopped repeating after a few seconds. After that I plugged my keyboard and mouse directly into my PC and everything worked great.
I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1 and all the newest drivers, uncluding USB 2.0 drivers. My mainboard is a Gigabyte 8iHXP with onboard USB 2.0 support. The switch is a Belkin SOHO series 4-port USB only KVM switch. Any help would be appreciated.

<font color=blue> <i> There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. </i> </font color=blue> --J.S. Anderson

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
is the switch connected to its own power? i have no explanation but those things are buggy as hell, some times the work better with the power from the ps2, other times they work with the ac adaptor.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

alcdotcom

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Belkin says it is a defective KVM switch and has offered to replace it. I hope it was just that one switch and not the whole line of them. After being part of the Kingston memory fiasco, and the Audigy "squeel of death, my expectations in hardware reliability are pretty low.

<font color=blue> <i> There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. </i> </font color=blue> --J.S. Anderson

DigitalAlchemist

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I have noticed the same behavior on the F1DS104T OmniView SOHO
KVM switch. It only happens when switching from a PS/2 keyboard
to a USB keyboard. I am a heavy Linux/Emacs users using an
Apple G3 running Yellow Dog Linux and noticed the 3 second
issue when holding down the control key.

I suspect it's a firmware issue within the switch since it
only happens when switching from PS/2 keyboard to USB interface.
I'd be very interested to know if shipping you a
new KVM switch solves the problem. I've emailed Belkin tech
support but have not received an answer. If it IS a firmware
issue, I'd suspect they all suffer with this problem.
The good news is that Belkin OUGHT to be able to fix this with a
firmware patch that can be flashed into the switch.
ASSUMING we can convice Belkin that there is a problem.

DigitalAlchemist

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Here is a copy of the email I sent to Belkin regarding this issue. This email was sent back on Oct. 22, 2002, I have never gotten a response.

My KVM switch is a Belkin OmniView 4-Port KVM Switch with Audio. SOHO Series Model No. F1DS104T.

----------------

If the control key is held down for more than 3 seconds after a previous control character has been entered the KVM switch appears to drop the fact that the control key is still in the down state and instead enters the typed character as a non-control character.

Only happens AFTER a least one previous control character has been entered. Holding down just the control key without typing at least one control character first will not exhibit the problem. You must have entered at least ONE control character and then hold the control key down for 3 or more seconds before attempting to type the next control character.

This problem only shows up when switching from a PS/2 keyboard to a USB keyboard interface. I.E. using a PS/2 keyboard to control a USB keyboard interface on an Apple G3 series running Yellow Dog Linux.

This does not occur when using a PS/2 keyboard to a PS/2 interface.

I do not know the rev of the firmware in use on my KVM switch but here is the information I have gleaned from the label on the inside of the switch:

V-S1.0s
C/E: 3021755262
F1DS104T
PS1039-B

Purchased: 8/22/2002

If this entails a firmware fix, please let me know as soon as one is available. I am a heavy Emacs/Linux user and because control key sequences are used extensively in the Emacs text editor and I often have a tendency to sit on the control key for extensive periods of time.

DigitalAlchemist

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I just discovered the EXACT same behavior with the SHIFT key, which might explain the problems you're seeing while gaming.

You have to have entered at least ONE shifted character then hold down the shift key for 3 or more seconds and then try to type another shifted character (shift key still down), you'll see it print a lower case char instead.

Again only when switching from a PS/2 keyboard to a USB keyboard interface.