Why are phones so expensive at the stores?

Last response: in Network Providers
February 27, 2005 7:45:01 PM

I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
Current favorite is the Moto V551.

After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
stores.

On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
-$75 ( they pay me!!)
Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)

I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and I
would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of return,
service etc - say $30
But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much for
me to swallow.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
business at the Cingular store vs on-line?

Bill
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:45:02 PM

Did you check out Amazon? My T-Mo phone came from them. The T-Mo price
back then was $250 after the rebate, the Amazon had 2 rebates that put
the phone at just the shipping cost of $6. Same planes were available
from Amazon that you could get at the T-Mo store.

I think Cingular contracts with Amazon as well, check it out if you
have'nt.

bill.. wrote:
> I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
> Current favorite is the Moto V551.
>
> After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
> really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
> stores.
>
> On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
> -$75 ( they pay me!!)
> Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)
>
> I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and I
> would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of return,
> service etc - say $30
> But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much for
> me to swallow.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something.
> Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
> business at the Cingular store vs on-line?
>

> Bill

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:45:02 PM

bill.. Wrote:
> I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
> Current favorite is the Moto V551.
>
> After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
> really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
> stores.
>
> On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
> -$75 ( they pay me!!)
> Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)
>
> I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and I
> would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of return,
> service etc - say $30
> But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much for
> me to swallow.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something.
> Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
> business at the Cingular store vs on-line?
>

> Bill

I work for an authorized agent of Cingular Wireless, and I can tell you
that there is no way for us to match an internet deal. My owner would
lose money if he matched the online prices or Amazon's prices. It all
depends on what Cingular pays them for a new customer. The more
Cingular pays my owner, the better the deal we can offer a customer.
Cingular may be offering a really special deal to certain online
dealers. I can't tell you for sure.

What I can tell you is Cingular.com will offer you a better deal than
purchasing the phone from inside a store. They can do that because
they don't have to pay the middle man which would be the dealer, or pay
out commission to a sales rep.

--
scott14661
February 27, 2005 8:45:32 PM

Actually, there are lots of good deals out there.

I am wondering why doesn't Cingular offer them themselves too?

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 10:16:05 -0700, No Spam <JOHNSMITH@EXAMPLE.NET>
wrote:

>Did you check out Amazon? My T-Mo phone came from them. The T-Mo price
>back then was $250 after the rebate, the Amazon had 2 rebates that put
>the phone at just the shipping cost of $6. Same planes were available
>from Amazon that you could get at the T-Mo store.
>
>I think Cingular contracts with Amazon as well, check it out if you
>have'nt.

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 8:45:33 PM

I just signed up with Cingular and I was going to get a V551 and went
to a store selling Cingular in a mall. THey tried to give me a free
phone (Nokia) but I wanted the V551. Of cousre they started at $179
and later went down to $159. I was getting a family plan with 2
phones. They didnt' offer anything for a second phone except a Nokia
as well for free or said they could unlock my TMobile V300 and use
that. Well an hour later I was online and found a place I could get
two V551's with this plan for free so you know which way I went.
there's no way I could spend that when I could get it for free online.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 12:55:43 AM

In article <9bt321dboimdnkqokt439dmoqf2o5cp1tt@4ax.com>,
bill.. <b@c.com> wrote:

> I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
> Current favorite is the Moto V551.
>
> After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
> really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
> stores.
>
> On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
> -$75 ( they pay me!!)
> Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)
>
> I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and I
> would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of return,
> service etc - say $30
> But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much for
> me to swallow.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something.
> Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
> business at the Cingular store vs on-line?

If you get a DOA phone or a battery dies after 3 months, you'll rue the
day you bought online when you're waiting days for your replacement,
instead of instantaneous at the Cingular store. It's your choice.
February 28, 2005 12:55:44 AM

Per Jack Zwick:
>If you get a DOA phone or a battery dies after 3 months, you'll rue the
>day you bought online when you're waiting days for your replacement,
>instead of instantaneous at the Cingular store. It's your choice.

Which Cingular store? In the Philly area, they used to have a walk-in repair
facility in Trooper..but they closed it some years back.f

Now I've got a couple of phones whose keypads are going and I'd *really* like to
get them fixed without being offline for a couple days while devices are in the
mail. Somebody mentioned a mail-in service, but I can't figure out how I
could get uninterrupted service using it.
--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

> Which Cingular store? In the Philly area, they used to have a walk-in
repair
> facility in Trooper..but they closed it some years back.f
>
> Now I've got a couple of phones whose keypads are going and I'd *really*
like to
> get them fixed without being offline for a couple days while devices are
in the
> mail. Somebody mentioned a mail-in service, but I can't figure out how
> could get uninterrupted service using it.
> --
> PeteCresswell

We've had cell phones for long enough now that we have spares . . . and yes,
they work OK on Cingular GSM. If one of our T720s had a problem (unlikely),
we've got a Nokia 3595 that works just fine. Just pop out the sim and put
it in the nokia. Done!

Don't know why you couldn't buy the cheapest Cingular (or unlocked) GSM
phone you can find (new or used, as long as it works) off of ebay and pop
your SIM into it so that you can send one of your current phones in for
repair. I'm sure Cingular can service the phone without the SIM in
t. -Dave
February 28, 2005 3:38:06 AM

Per Dave C.:
>Don't know why you couldn't buy the cheapest Cingular (or unlocked) GSM
>phone you can find (new or used, as long as it works) off of ebay and pop
>your SIM into it so that you can send one of your current phones in for
>repair. I'm sure Cingular can service the phone without the SIM in

Phone fungability is probably the primary attraction of GSM for me.

But I'm on TDMA. Some "family plan" that they've stopped supporting, but still
is about forty bucks a month less than I'd have to pay to get the same service
with a GSM account.

--
PeteCresswell
Anonymous

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:38:24 -0600, scott14661
<scott14661.1l4w8z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>What I can tell you is Cingular.com will offer you a better deal than
>purchasing the phone from inside a store. They can do that because
>they don't have to pay the middle man which would be the dealer, or pay
>out commission to a sales rep.

Good point - that makes this whole pricing comparison even wierder.
Forget the stores and compare the Internet deals to Cingular.com

Right now for my zip code, Amazon.com is $195 cheaper than
Cingular.com for the same phone/contract.

Bill
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 5:51:38 AM

"scott14661" <scott14661.1l4w8z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> bill.. Wrote:
>> I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
>> Current favorite is the Moto V551.
>>
>> After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
>> really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
>> stores.
>>
>> On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
>> -$75 ( they pay me!!)
>> Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)
>>
>> I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and I
>> would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of return,
>> service etc - say $30
>> But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much for
>> me to swallow.
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something.
>> Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
>> business at the Cingular store vs on-line?
>>

>> Bill
>
> I work for an authorized agent of Cingular Wireless, and I can tell you
> that there is no way for us to match an internet deal. My owner would
> lose money if he matched the online prices or Amazon's prices. It all
> depends on what Cingular pays them for a new customer. The more
> Cingular pays my owner, the better the deal we can offer a customer.
> Cingular may be offering a really special deal to certain online
> dealers. I can't tell you for sure.
>
> What I can tell you is Cingular.com will offer you a better deal than
> purchasing the phone from inside a store. They can do that because
> they don't have to pay the middle man which would be the dealer, or pay
> out commission to a sales rep.

It never ceases to amaze me when people bring their messed up phones from
second party sources and want us to fix and/or warranty them.

If you buy a phone online you will recieve ZERO assistance from Cingular if
something should go wrong with your phone.

If you buy from an authorized dealer you will recieve ZERO assistance from
Cingular if something should go wrong with your phone.

These business' make their own deals regarding phone pricing through their
distributors or the manufacturers.

Have fun saving money though!

--
JJ
Anonymous

In article <_GvUd.67553$Bx5.16887@fe1.texas.rr.com>,
"Jiu Jitsuperfly" <jiujitsuperfly@satx.rr.complicated> wrote:

> It never ceases to amaze me when people bring their messed up phones from
> second party sources and want us to fix and/or warranty them.
>
> If you buy a phone online you will recieve ZERO assistance from Cingular if
> something should go wrong with your phone.
>
> If you buy from an authorized dealer you will recieve ZERO assistance from
> Cingular if something should go wrong with your phone.
>
> These business' make their own deals regarding phone pricing through their
> distributors or the manufacturers.
>
> Have fun saving money though!

I'm sorry, if I buy a phone from Cingular online, why WOULDN'T a
Cingular B&M store fix it??? You can't use the brand name if you're not
willing to stand behind it.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:54:16 AM

"Jiu Jitsuperfly" <jiujitsuperfly@satx.rr.complicated> wrote in message

SNIP

> It never ceases to amaze me when people bring their messed up phones from
> second party sources and want us to fix and/or warranty them.
>
> If you buy a phone online you will recieve ZERO assistance from Cingular
> if something should go wrong with your phone.
>
> If you buy from an authorized dealer you will recieve ZERO assistance from
> Cingular if something should go wrong with your phone.

If you buy from Cingular they will replace the phone in the first 30 days,
after that it has to be sent in for repair. Don't try and make Cingular out
to be some good smaratin in the phone business. You may also not know that
some retailers and online sellers will give you just as good a warranty
service as Cingular and in some cases better.

> These business' make their own deals regarding phone pricing through their
> distributors or the manufacturers.
>
> Have fun saving money though!

This is somewhat misleading. Yes, the dealers make their own deals for the
cost of the phones but if they are reselling Cingular service they usually
recieve a comission or fee for signing up new customers. For example, a
phone like a Moto V551 might cost say $300 US to the dealer. Cingular may
pay $350 for a new customer. The dealer may pass on part of that rebate to
the customer and only charge $50 for the phone so in the end they still make
$100 on the deal (minus whatever they pay the sales person).

TC
February 28, 2005 9:46:43 AM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:45:01 GMT, bill.. <b@c.com> wrote:

>I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
>Current favorite is the Moto V551.
>
>After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
>really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
>stores.
>
>On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
>-$75 ( they pay me!!)
>Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)
>
>I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and I
>would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of return,
>service etc - say $30
>But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much for
>me to swallow.
>
>Maybe I'm missing something.
>Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
>business at the Cingular store vs on-line?

When you get a phone with service the service provider who gives you
the phone or gives you a cheap price is heavily subsidizing the cost
of the phone to convince you to use that carrier. The price that the
third party vendor sells the phone for is totally unsubsidized which
is why it costs so much more than from a dealer for new service. If
you had the phone that you got from the carrier lost or stolen you'd
pay full price for it.
February 28, 2005 9:49:16 AM

wrote:

>Did you check out Amazon? My T-Mo phone came from them. The T-Mo price
>back then was $250 after the rebate, the Amazon had 2 rebates that put
>the phone at just the shipping cost of $6. Same planes were available
>from Amazon that you could get at the T-Mo store.

That's a price for *new* customers. Current customers need not apply.

Amazon is now selling planes? How much do they want for an Airbus
A-380? :)

February 28, 2005 9:50:35 AM

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:37:20 -0500, "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid>
wrote:

>Now I've got a couple of phones whose keypads are going and I'd *really* like to
>get them fixed without being offline for a couple days while devices are in the
>mail. Somebody mentioned a mail-in service, but I can't figure out how I
>could get uninterrupted service using it.

Is the phone still under warranty? If it is cingular will likely send
you a new phone (probably refurbished) and give you a mailer to send
your original phone back to them.

February 28, 2005 4:46:13 PM

Jiu Jitsuperfly Wrote:
> "scott14661" <scott14661.1l4w8z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
> message
> >
> > bill.. Wrote:
> >> I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
> >> Current favorite is the Moto V551.
> >>
> >> After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
> >> really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
> >> stores.
> >>
> >> On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
> >> -$75 ( they pay me!!)
> >> Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)
> >>
> >> I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and
> >> would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of
> return,
> >> service etc - say $30
> >> But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much
> for
> >> me to swallow.
> >>
> >> Maybe I'm missing something.
> >> Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
> >> business at the Cingular store vs on-line?
> >>

> >> Bill
> >
> > I work for an authorized agent of Cingular Wireless, and I can tell
> you
> > that there is no way for us to match an internet deal. My owner
> would
> > lose money if he matched the online prices or Amazon's prices. It
> all
> > depends on what Cingular pays them for a new customer. The more
> > Cingular pays my owner, the better the deal we can offer a customer.
> > Cingular may be offering a really special deal to certain online
> > dealers. I can't tell you for sure.
> >
> > What I can tell you is Cingular.com will offer you a better deal
> than
> > purchasing the phone from inside a store. They can do that because
> > they don't have to pay the middle man which would be the dealer, or
> pay
> > out commission to a sales rep.
>
> It never ceases to amaze me when people bring their messed up phones
> from
> second party sources and want us to fix and/or warranty them.
>
> If you buy a phone online you will recieve ZERO assistance from
> Cingular if
> something should go wrong with your phone.
>
> If you buy from an authorized dealer you will recieve ZERO assistance
> from
> Cingular if something should go wrong with your phone.
>
> These business' make their own deals regarding phone pricing through
> their
> distributors or the manufacturers.
>
> Have fun saving money though!
>
> --
> JJ
Not completely correct. If you buy a Cingular phone from a Cingular
"authorized" dealer, it is covered under the same warranty as buying
from a Cingular company owned store. Cingular has to assist you with
any problems that arise as a result of the phone.

--
scott14661
February 28, 2005 7:37:08 PM

In article <_GvUd.67553$Bx5.16887@fe1.texas.rr.com>,
"Jiu Jitsuperfly" <jiujitsuperfly@satx.rr.complicated> wrote:

> "scott14661" <scott14661.1l4w8z@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
> >
> > bill.. Wrote:
> >> I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
> >> Current favorite is the Moto V551.
> >>
> >> After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
> >> really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
> >> stores.
> >>
> >> On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
> >> -$75 ( they pay me!!)
> >> Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)
> >>
> >> I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and I
> >> would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of return,
> >> service etc - say $30
> >> But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much for
> >> me to swallow.
> >>
> >> Maybe I'm missing something.
> >> Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
> >> business at the Cingular store vs on-line?
> >>

> >> Bill
> >
> > I work for an authorized agent of Cingular Wireless, and I can tell you
> > that there is no way for us to match an internet deal. My owner would
> > lose money if he matched the online prices or Amazon's prices. It all
> > depends on what Cingular pays them for a new customer. The more
> > Cingular pays my owner, the better the deal we can offer a customer.
> > Cingular may be offering a really special deal to certain online
> > dealers. I can't tell you for sure.
> >
> > What I can tell you is Cingular.com will offer you a better deal than
> > purchasing the phone from inside a store. They can do that because
> > they don't have to pay the middle man which would be the dealer, or pay
> > out commission to a sales rep.
>
> It never ceases to amaze me when people bring their messed up phones from
> second party sources and want us to fix and/or warranty them.
>
> If you buy a phone online you will recieve ZERO assistance from Cingular if
> something should go wrong with your phone.

Doesn't matter if the phone says Cingular on it and came in a Cingular
Box and was bought from a Cingular authorized Dealer. Then you wonder
why Cingular has a poor reputation for Customer Service. It never ceases
to amaze me the arrogance of Cingular employees and agents.

You can take an Apple Computer bought at any authorized Apple Dealer
into any Apple owned store, and get service under warranty.

> If you buy from an authorized dealer you will recieve ZERO assistance from
> Cingular if something should go wrong with your phone.
>
> These business' make their own deals regarding phone pricing through their
> distributors or the manufacturers.
>
> Have fun saving money though!
>
> --
> JJ
March 1, 2005 6:52:07 AM

Actually I got a better deal at the Cingular Store than online with my
Treo 600.

scott14661 wrote:
> bill.. Wrote:
>
>>I have been shopping for a GSM replacement to my 3 old AT&T phone.
>>Current favorite is the Moto V551.
>>
>>After checking on-line pricing from various 3rd party vendors I was
>>really surprised at the difference between their pricing and the
>>stores.
>>
>>On-line average price was $0 with 2 year contract - best price was
>>-$75 ( they pay me!!)
>>Cingular store price $119 ( current "deal" with rebate)
>>
>>I understand that someone has to pay for bricks and mortar etc and I
>>would be willing to pay more at the store for convenience of return,
>>service etc - say $30
>>But $120 to $185 more for the same boxed product is way too much for
>>me to swallow.
>>
>>Maybe I'm missing something.
>>Can anyone shed light why - or give me a sensible reason to do
>>business at the Cingular store vs on-line?
>>

>>Bill
>

> I work for an authorized agent of Cingular Wireless, and I can tell you
> that there is no way for us to match an internet deal. My owner would
> lose money if he matched the online prices or Amazon's prices. It all
> depends on what Cingular pays them for a new customer. The more
> Cingular pays my owner, the better the deal we can offer a customer.
> Cingular may be offering a really special deal to certain online
> dealers. I can't tell you for sure.
>
> What I can tell you is Cingular.com will offer you a better deal than
> purchasing the phone from inside a store. They can do that because
> they don't have to pay the middle man which would be the dealer, or pay
> out commission to a sales rep.

March 1, 2005 5:57:10 PM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:00:20 GMT, bill.. <b@c.com> wrote:

Bill,

This is what I did. You can probably do the same.
Call Cingular. Mention you saw a deal online with a1wireless (or
whatever deal you actually saw) that the v551 was free after rebate.
They will tell you they can't match Internet deals from other
companies. Mention you will most likely close the account and open a
new one in your spouse's name so you can get A1's deal.

At that point they will either match the deal or transfer you to their
"Retention" department. Retention is authorized to make deals that
the normal CSR cannot. I ended up with 2 v551s for $49 each plus one
charge of $9.95 shipping for both phones (not $9.95 per phone) .
Upgrade fee waived. No rebates needed. There was a 2 year commitment
but I kept all my rollover minutes and they upped me 100 minutes per
month for the same monthly fee.

I have a feeling if they thought I really was going to leave them,
they would have given me the phones for free. I'll never know but I
am happy with the deal I got. Keep track of the names of the people
you talk to. Get phone numbers where you can call them back directly
without having to tell your entire story from scratch each time. I
ran into a couple CSRs that were morons but on the whole, most of them
were well informed and courteous.
March 1, 2005 6:08:00 PM

I just wanted to add...

Besides A1wireless.com there was also Wirefly.com that had deals for
free v551's after rebate. However, after doing some searching on
those 2 companies, I would never buy a phone from them if I was
depending on the rebates. There were many postings from angry people
that did not get their rebates from either A1 or Wirefly. Apparently
the rebate requirements are very strict and somewhat confusing. If
they are not followed to the letter, the rebate will be denied and you
could end up paying $200+ for a phone and still have a 2 year
commitment.

I am very pleased with the v551s I paid $49 for.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:46:56 PM

> You can take an Apple Computer bought at any authorized Apple Dealer
> into any Apple owned store, and get service under warranty.

Bananas to grapefruit. As far as I know, Cingular isn't in the
engineering and manufacturing industry, and they don't materially create
thier own physical products, but instead purchase them from vendors.
AFAIK Cingular is still a wireless carrier, and manages a network
capable of voice and data services. Who knows, maybe they gave that up
to manufacture mobile handsets.

TH
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:51:50 PM

> I just wanted to add...
>
> Besides A1wireless.com there was also Wirefly.com that had deals for
> free v551's after rebate. However, after doing some searching on
> those 2 companies, I would never buy a phone from them if I was
> depending on the rebates. There were many postings from angry people
> that did not get their rebates from either A1 or Wirefly. Apparently
> the rebate requirements are very strict and somewhat confusing. If
> they are not followed to the letter, the rebate will be denied and you
> could end up paying $200+ for a phone and still have a 2 year
> commitment.
>
> I am very pleased with the v551s I paid $49 for.

To be on the safe side, I always assume that mail-in rebates will never
be had. I used to live in rural area which had no mail delivery (farms
got mail delivered, but people in town had to use a post office.)
Because they think there is a chance of fraud, they will deny the rebate
based on the P.O. mailing address, but if you give them a physical
address in place of a mailing address, it will be returned to sender.

TH
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:43:49 PM

In article <4225A7B1.7030107@example.net>,
Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:

> > You can take an Apple Computer bought at any authorized Apple Dealer
> > into any Apple owned store, and get service under warranty.
>

> Bananas to grapefruit. As far as I know, Cingular isn't in the
> engineering and manufacturing industry, and they don't materially create
> thier own physical products, but instead purchase them from vendors.
> AFAIK Cingular is still a wireless carrier, and manages a network
> capable of voice and data services. Who knows, maybe they gave that up
> to manufacture mobile handsets.

They shouldn't slap the Cingular logo on any piece of equipment they're
unwilling to support. By putting the logo on the phone THEY ARE in the
manufacturing business.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:15:30 PM

We lived in the village and did not have a physical address other than
the street name. I remember that a lot of mail forms had two areas one
for address and one for mailing address. My Uncle was lucky, he lived
on the street taken by the carrier to get out of town to the Rural
Route. The law says that people who live on those streets can put up a
mail box and get delivery. I think we lived on one of those streets
too, but since Dad worked downtown a block from the post office,
(everything downtown was near the post office hihi), he rented a PO Box.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:09:03 PM

In <jzwick3-2C6EBB.07434902032005@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Wed, 02 Mar
2005 13:43:49 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <4225A7B1.7030107@example.net>,
> Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:
>
>> > You can take an Apple Computer bought at any authorized Apple Dealer
>> > into any Apple owned store, and get service under warranty.
>>
>> Bananas to grapefruit. As far as I know, Cingular isn't in the
>> engineering and manufacturing industry, and they don't materially create
>> thier own physical products, but instead purchase them from vendors.
>> AFAIK Cingular is still a wireless carrier, and manages a network
>> capable of voice and data services. Who knows, maybe they gave that up
>> to manufacture mobile handsets.
>
>They shouldn't slap the Cingular logo on any piece of equipment they're
>unwilling to support. By putting the logo on the phone THEY ARE in the
>manufacturing business.

No, it is in the branded reselling business, and makes it clear that warranty
service is provided by the actual manufacturer. What part of that don't you
understand?

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:07:56 AM

>>>You can take an Apple Computer bought at any authorized Apple Dealer
>>>into any Apple owned store, and get service under warranty.

If you buy an Apple computer from an Apple owned store and try to get
service under warranty at an Apple Authorized Dealer, what most likely
will [or won't] happen?

>>Bananas to grapefruit. As far as I know, Cingular isn't in the
>>engineering and manufacturing industry, and they don't materially create
>>thier own physical products, but instead purchase them from vendors.
>>AFAIK Cingular is still a wireless carrier, and manages a network
>>capable of voice and data services. Who knows, maybe they gave that up
>>to manufacture mobile handsets.
>

> They shouldn't slap the Cingular logo on any piece of equipment they're
> unwilling to support. By putting the logo on the phone THEY ARE in the
> manufacturing business.

If you buy a DirecTV system and it needs servicing, the dealer doesn't
service it, it gets sent to some warehouse where it's done. Likewise
with a Sony stereo...if you get one from Best Buy, Best Buy slaps their
name on bill (and receipt), but they [most likely] don't do all
servicing for all electronics manufacturers.

Don't worry, it's a tough concept to master. We're trying to teach 9
year olds how companies work together.

TH
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:53:07 AM

In article <4226717E.9070603@example.net>,

> If you buy an Apple computer from an Apple owned store and try to get
> service under warranty at an Apple Authorized Dealer, what most likely
> will [or won't] happen?
>

> >>Bananas to grapefruit. As far as I know, Cingular isn't in the
> >>engineering and manufacturing industry, and they don't materially create
> >>thier own physical products, but instead purchase them from vendors.
> >>AFAIK Cingular is still a wireless carrier, and manages a network
> >>capable of voice and data services. Who knows, maybe they gave that up
> >>to manufacture mobile handsets.
> >

> > They shouldn't slap the Cingular logo on any piece of equipment they're
> > unwilling to support. By putting the logo on the phone THEY ARE in the
> > manufacturing business.
>
> If you buy a DirecTV system and it needs servicing, the dealer doesn't
> service it, it gets sent to some warehouse where it's done. Likewise
> with a Sony stereo...if you get one from Best Buy, Best Buy slaps their
> name on bill (and receipt), but they [most likely] don't do all
> servicing for all electronics manufacturers.
>
> Don't worry, it's a tough concept to master. We're trying to teach 9
> year olds how companies work together.

If you buy a SprintPCS phone you can take it to their company owned
stores and get it serviced.

Tough concept?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:07:58 AM

> If you buy a SprintPCS phone you can take it to their company owned
> stores and get it serviced.
>
> Tough concept?

No, it's not a tough concept. It's just not the way a majority of the
world works. If Sprint PCS servicing phones is so important to you,
then maybe you should be subscribing to Sprint PCS. Otherwise GET OVER IT.
March 4, 2005 6:33:24 PM

There is a difference between a "Cingular Authorized Dealer" and an
actual "Cingular owned store front". If you go to a mall kiosk they
are resellers and they do not work for Cingular. If you go to a
Cingular Store, you deal with Cingular Employees and get much better
service and the deals are usually just as good if not better than the
Web pricing. It was the same for AT&T before the merge. I have dealt
with both and there is a BIG DIFFERENCE. With AT&T I could call
customer service, tell them of an online promo and then go to the
store 2 miles from home and they would have the phone ready and
waiting on me with no shipping charges and I could still get the web
pricing. I have not tried this with Cingular yet, but upgrade time is
coming soon.

March 4, 2005 7:13:35 PM

In article <4227C301.10506@example.net>,
Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:

> > If you buy a SprintPCS phone you can take it to their company owned
> > stores and get it serviced.
> >
> > Tough concept?
>
> No, it's not a tough concept. It's just not the way a majority of the
> world works. If Sprint PCS servicing phones is so important to you,
> then maybe you should be subscribing to Sprint PCS. Otherwise GET OVER IT.

I guess it is a tough concept for you. Cingular puts their moniker on
phones and then wants to deny ownership of them? Not logical.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 8:45:13 PM

> I guess it is a tough concept for you. Cingular puts their moniker on
> phones and then wants to deny ownership of them? Not logical.

As do T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, AT&T, SBC, BellSouth, Verizon, Extend
America, Southern Linc, DirecTV, Dish Network, Qwest, Virgin Mobile...

The list goes on and on.

More examples can be found in the "Troll Food" section of the
MANUFACTURER's Warranty.

TH
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 8:49:27 PM

In article <42289EAD.9080209@example.net>,
Tropical Haven <user@example.net> wrote:

> > I guess it is a tough concept for you. Cingular puts their moniker on
> > phones and then wants to deny ownership of them? Not logical.
>
> As do T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, AT&T, SBC, BellSouth, Verizon, Extend
> America, Southern Linc, DirecTV, Dish Network, Qwest, Virgin Mobile...
>
> The list goes on and on.

But it is reasonable to expect a company owned store to provide service
for a product with its own name on it, whether it manufactured it or not.

DirecTv will provide service on a Hughes labeled system for instance.

Two or 5 wrongs do not make a right.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:30:12 PM

noone@home.net Wrote:
> There is a difference between a "Cingular Authorized Dealer" and an
> actual "Cingular owned store front". If you go to a mall kiosk they
> are resellers and they do not work for Cingular. If you go to a
> Cingular Store, you deal with Cingular Employees and get much better
> service and the deals are usually just as good if not better than the
> Web pricing. It was the same for AT&T before the merge. I have dealt
> with both and there is a BIG DIFFERENCE. With AT&T I could call
> customer service, tell them of an online promo and then go to the
> store 2 miles from home and they would have the phone ready and
> waiting on me with no shipping charges and I could still get the web
> pricing. I have not tried this with Cingular yet, but upgrade time is
> coming soon.

I work for an authorized dealer, i'm tired of people making
stereotypical comments about dealers. True, there are some bad dealers
out there who just want your money and nothing else. But there are just
as many dealers who are as good or even better than company owned
stores.

I can tell you, the nearest coporate store where I live is a pretty
good one. But i've had customers go to them, and not get the
satistfaction they deserve, so they come to us, and sometimes we can do
something for them that corporate can't, or vice versa. In other words
everyone needs to stop with the stereotypes of dealers, because there
are a lot of good dealers out there.

As to your second comment, Cingular will not match online pricing.
Online pricing is designed to get the customer to order online, not in
store. Maybe, just maybe you might find a dealer that would be willing
to match it, but it sounds like you don't want to shop with a dealer, so
you're stuck with the store price.

--
scott14661
March 6, 2005 1:17:53 AM

In article <scott14661.1lfgsz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>,
scott14661 <scott14661.1lfgsz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

> noone@home.net Wrote:
> > There is a difference between a "Cingular Authorized Dealer" and an
> > actual "Cingular owned store front". If you go to a mall kiosk they
> > are resellers and they do not work for Cingular. If you go to a
> > Cingular Store, you deal with Cingular Employees and get much better
> > service and the deals are usually just as good if not better than the
> > Web pricing. It was the same for AT&T before the merge. I have dealt
> > with both and there is a BIG DIFFERENCE. With AT&T I could call
> > customer service, tell them of an online promo and then go to the
> > store 2 miles from home and they would have the phone ready and
> > waiting on me with no shipping charges and I could still get the web
> > pricing. I have not tried this with Cingular yet, but upgrade time is
> > coming soon.

> I work for an authorized dealer, i'm tired of people making
> stereotypical comments about dealers. True, there are some bad dealers
> out there who just want your money and nothing else. But there are just
> as many dealers who are as good or even better than company owned
> stores.
>
> I can tell you, the nearest coporate store where I live is a pretty
> good one. But i've had customers go to them, and not get the
> satistfaction they deserve, so they come to us, and sometimes we can do
> something for them that corporate can't, or vice versa. In other words
> everyone needs to stop with the stereotypes of dealers, because there
> are a lot of good dealers out there.
>
> As to your second comment, Cingular will not match online pricing.
> Online pricing is designed to get the customer to order online, not in
> store.

You just contradicted yourself. Dont stereotype the stores. Depends on
the store, the manager and the time of the month.

!