Help Freezing, Crashing and Restarting Problems!

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Hello My names Philip and i'm new to the forum :D.

Well my problem is that i had freezing and crashing problems in late june when we broke up from school, since then it's been all day Mac because of this and yet it still continues now, here's my problem:

I had a Freezing, Crashing and Restarting Problem and i looked up and thought it could be overheating, so i checked my CPU Temp on speedfan and it used to idle at around 77.5C Which was very high so i cleaned it out 3 Times till it went down to 50 Degrees and said that's fine but the Symptoms still were there :cry: so i went in safe mode and no crashing happened and i was like :pfff: and i was very annoyed, back into the case i go and i pull out the graphics card with anger, and found a blown capacitor on it, it was a FZ71 SS Capacitor i went to my step dad asked him to buy a new graphics card and we got the MSI Radeon HD 3850 OC Edition(OC=OverClocked) and now the crashing has stopped dramatically but anytime i try to load the Catalyst Control Centre or ATI Tool It just crashes and it leads me to think it's Either the RAM or the PSU that's causing this. One more thing is that i think my power supply isn't enough (350 Watt with dual 12V Rails 10 Amps on one and 15 Amps on the other) so i ran Everest Ultimate Edition and my +5V Rail is running at 5.70V and my +12V Rail is running at 12.34V and i think i'm overloading the Power supply, Anyone care to share their experience and magic skills?

You have a cheap power supply. My 350w antec is rated at 17 amps on the 12v rail, versus 10-15 amps on your no name brand. Yes, get a better brand such as one of these: antec, ocz, corsair, enermax, seasonic, or pc power and cooling. Avoid another cheap brand just because it states higher wattage; cheaper brands overstate their capabilities, while the previous brands I gave you are tested properly.

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Sorry i took so long in replying, and btw i have a branded power supply, it's a Fotron Source power supplies, they make really good Psu's :D

Try using just the basic video driver. The catalyst center isn't necessary; if you're trying to overclock your 3850, then that may be the problem, especially on such a weak power supply. Fortron ps are ok, but as I said earlier, 350w is barely adequate for any video card, especially with those amp ratings. More ram won't help. And finally, you can also try turning down your resolution to lower settings until you get a better power supply. Uninstall any video drivers. On ati's driver page, you have the option of just loading the basic driver. Try that first, then uninstall everything else, power down, and reboot. Windows will search for the driver. I use the documents file to store new downloaded files.

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Seriously i've tried that :cry: i've uninstalled it with Your Uninstaller 2008 which removes Registry keys, orphaned files Etc. please help :(

Jeremey66

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Crashing most likely is Driver's messing up. Freezing could yes result in your Power supply, but it can also be your Processor, and RAM. How much Memory are you using? CTRL+ALT+DELETE it and look down at the bottom right corner of the screen and see how much is being used and how much you have total, if it's over 75% than that could start to slow your pc down resulting in freezing. Now for Restarting problems, what does it say?

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

Well it could be a driver problem, below i've listed 2 errors but i've never seen them before and i looked 1 month before and they weren't there so i guess it was just a coincidence

Heres the Task Manager, Peformance Tab:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/3938/yeah1.png

And here's my Temps & Voltages measured in Lavalys Everest Ultimate:
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4593/yeah2a.png

Here, i found these 2 errors in event viewer this morning:

No.1:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 24/10/2009
Time: 09:32:15
User: N/A
Computer: WINDOWS
Description:
The PC Tools Security Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

No.2:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7009
Date: 24/10/2009
Time: 09:32:14
User: N/A
Computer: WINDOWS
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the PC Tools Security Service service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Edit:
Well i don't know what you mean about the restarting problem thing, but the restarting stopped after i put in this new Graphics card and everytime i try and load a game the computer ALWAYS hangs on me leaving me only able to move the mouse, after doing a few clicks (about 5) the computer freezes and beeps at the same time, Only 1 beep but i thought that ment the system was OK and at one point it froze, beeped and then went back to normal but i turned the computer off thinking it completely froze, maybe it's a RAM problem? i dunno help guys

Double Edit: Omfg, i just checked on the overclock tab on Everest Ultimate, my CPU Multiplier is jumping back and forth from 14x to 17x and my CPU Speed is jumping from 3.4Ghz to 2.8Ghz? it's a Intel Pentium 4 550 3.4Ghz CPU Not even overclocked since the bios is locked :cry: i hope this isn't a CPU problem, i think it may be a Power problem that the power supply isn't delivering enough stable juice to it so it jumps back and forth to keep the computer alive

Triple Edit: Also i want to tell you guys, this freezing and crashing stuff all started when i first used CCleaner to clean out the registry Etc.

Jeremey66

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Cleaning your registry is helpful, but it's also harmful! Did you create a backup of the Registry cleaned? By the restarting thing I mean, what did it say when it failed to restart? Or did it just keep restarting over and over again after a certain point. For your GHZ, it's most likely a problem with your hardware, I don't know if it could be about power on this one.. But, it may be, contact Intel, and if they don't have any resolution the only thing left is power supply.

phil_12

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009

haha! here is where my social skills come in :/

I created another thread about this and someone answered it might have been a power saving utility and he asked me to do a CPU Benchmark and check WHILE IT WAS DOING THE BENCHMARK and see how it turned out, he was right because i ran Prime95 and it stayed at 17x (the multiplier) so err that's not a problem, but also i wanted to point out that this is no longer a problem at all since it was a software conflict. After uninstalling A LOT of stuff i finally got the Crashing, Freezing and restarting to stop COMPLETELY and now i can run a game freely without the worry of losing game data.

I just randomly came up with the idea after deleting all the stuff that i should make a seperate account for gaming alone and yes i did and after that it's smooth sailing so i just install and play my games on that account, everything else is done on my main account :).

I should also note that it was Either a product from PC-Tools or Lavasoft that made this software conflict but i've deleted everything to do with PC-Tools apart from Registry Mechanic and everything is double safe :D