Kingston KVR800D2N5 May Impact The Reliability With Intel Motherboard

cibalo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Dear Forum:

Intel DQ45CB Technical Product Specification does read as follows.
"To be fully compliant with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications, the board should be populated with DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. This allows the BIOS to read the SPD data and program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance. If non-SPD memory is installed, the BIOS will attempt to correctly configure the memory settings, but performance and reliability may be impacted or the DIMMs may not function under the determined frequency."

By reading the Memory Module Specification of KVR800D2N5/2G and KHX6400D2/2G, I notice that the KVR800D2N5/2G fails to specify the SPD support while the KHX6400D2/2G does support for the SPD. Does that imply that KVR800D2N5/2G may not function under the determined frequency together with Intel DQ45CB.

Thanks Forum! Hope You Can Help!

Best Regards,
cibalo

cibalo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hello badge,

Thank you very much for replying to my post.

I did a memory search at Kingston site. Both KVR800D2N5/2G (ValueRam Memory Search) and KHX6400D2/2G (HyperX Memory Search) are found in the search results by Intel DQ45CB.

The presence of a SPD chip isn't my concern. What counts is the production quality control testing of the SPD data. If KVR800D2N5/2G fails to specify the SPD support in the Memory Module Specification, chances are that there may be insufficient SPD testing in the production line and the accuracy of the SPD timing data isn't guaranteed.

Best Regards,
cibalo

The presence of a SPD chip isn't my concern. What counts is the production quality control testing of the SPD data. If KVR800D2N5/2G fails to specify the SPD support in the Memory Module Specification, chances are that there may be insufficient SPD testing in the production line and the accuracy of the SPD timing data isn't guaranteed.

Well La De Da. Would you mind losing the 'bold' lettering when posting on the message board. Besides making you appear like a missing link it's annoying. I can give you the intellectual as well as the performance equating answer to your question. You wouldn't know the difference.

The best of my love,

badge

Edit for Writer's Embellishments.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

SPD is a lazy person's way of setting their memory specs, and is fine WHEN IT WORKS PROPERLY!

But for those of us that are maybe not so lazy, the MFG's SPD specs can also be set manually, as well as the MFG's overall specs if SPD is not available. For the most part, RAM is RAM. Set the values manually to the MFG's specs, (assuming that those specs are within your MB's specs) and don't worry about it.

(Badge is correct... Lose the 'bold' attitude.)

+1 like croc stated, if the BIOS allows for the RAM to be adjusted manually, there is no issue with setting up to JEDEC standards manually if that is what OP wants. If the RAM is liisted as compatible and guaranteed to work on the Kingston site, the question of it's 'compatibility' with the MB is a non issue. The RAM will run at advertised specs.