• Hard Drives
  • Maxtor
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
April 25, 2011 9:41:19 PM

Dear Forum

I have a Maxtor One Touch External HDD 120GB (old skool).
SN:Y32535L.....(rest has rubbed off!) I said it's old.

It houses some of the most important videos & pictures from my teen years.

It's been unusable for nearly 8 years! I told myself when it broke I'd hold off on sending it to a data recover service until the prices came down....well I'm still waiting (basically I'm too tight).

The drive boots up (blue light) and I can hear the noise of the disk turning. No different from when I could access it. The power supply has been replaced and the usb cable is fine.

When it pops up in my comp it reads Local Disk (F:)  with NO disk size number below. When I click it it reads F:/is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. Added to this the Format Local Disk (F:)  box pops up looking for me to format it. Right mouse/properties show 0 bytes used 0 bytes free. Nothing basically. Error check reports that windows can't access the disk.

The data recovery tools I've used (and there has been many) all finish the same way. The programs just hang and report bad sectors or bad partitions. Some get to 10% before stopping others 2%. The same program can even give different percentages 5 minutes later! Makes no sense to me. It's like these programs just can't read what's there. When they do find something bad, they just hang.

chkdsk on drive F just opens the dialog box before shutting it seconds later.

It seems to like I need to fix the reading issue before I can attempt to recover the data but what do I know.

PLEASE help if you can. I need those files and after 8 years enough is enough.

Kind regards,

James

More about : maxtor hdd years broken

April 26, 2011 3:30:58 AM

nasaspaceboy said:
Dear Forum

It's been unusable for nearly 8 years! I told myself when it broke I'd hold off on sending it to a data recover service until the prices came down....well I'm still waiting (basically I'm too tight).

The drive boots up (blue light) and I can hear the noise of the disk turning. No different from when I could access it. The power supply has been replaced and the usb cable is fine.

When it pops up in my comp it reads Local Disk (F:)  with NO disk size number below. When I click it it reads F:/is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. Added to this the Format Local Disk (F:)  box pops up looking for me to format it. Right mouse/properties show 0 bytes used 0 bytes free. Nothing basically. Error check reports that windows can't access the disk.

The data recovery tools I've used (and there has been many) all finish the same way. The programs just hang and report bad sectors or bad partitions. Some get to 10% before stopping others 2%. The same program can even give different percentages 5 minutes later! Makes no sense to me. It's like these programs just can't read what's there. When they do find something bad, they just hang.

It seems to like I need to fix the reading issue before I can attempt to recover the data but what do I know.

Kind regards,

James

That sounds more like a hardware problem than a software one. The first thing that I would do is to pull the drive from the external case and attach it to my troubleshooting computer. Unless you are experienced with working on computer hardware, I would encourage you not to try this yourself. The risk is doing additional damage by improper handling. If there is internal physical damage to the drive, it is never, ever in a million years, going to be cost effective. It requires a VERY special room to open a hard drive in because of contamination. Most companies can't even do this, let alone an individual computer user.
April 26, 2011 6:23:24 AM

Try EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard
Related resources
April 26, 2011 4:47:40 PM

What is on it that's so important you've been able to live without it for the last 8yrs?
a c 122 G Storage
April 26, 2011 4:56:53 PM

nasaspaceboy said:
Dear Forum

Kind regards,

James

The recommendation by dmcomputerg is a good one. Doing this will rule out an issue with the enclosure/electronics itself. Give it a shot and report back the results. Good luck!
a b G Storage
April 26, 2011 10:13:20 PM

Your average data recovery software can not deal well with bad sectors/read errors. But using the right software should give you good results.

What you need to do is get another 120GB disk and clone or image the drive onto the new drive. You need an imaging tool that skips over bad sectors. One such tool is R-studio.com

Once you have made the image then use your other data recovery tools againt the new cloned drive to save your data.

This is very doable I've used this imaging process many times but using Linux tools and typically achieve a recovery rate of over 99%.

a c 122 G Storage
April 27, 2011 2:00:17 AM

FreeDataRecovery said:
Your average data recovery software can not deal well with bad sectors/read errors. But using the right software should give you good results.

What you need to do is get another 120GB disk and clone or image the drive onto the new drive. You need an imaging tool that skips over bad sectors. One such tool is R-studio.com

Once you have made the image then use your other data recovery tools againt the new cloned drive to save your data.

This is very doable I've used this imaging process many times but using Linux tools and typically achieve a recovery rate of over 99%.

Clonezilla may do the trick here as well.