SSD for OS, games and apps

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hi all ,

I am trying to decide on an SSD(s) for my operating system, games and apps. I was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions?

I have been looking at a few but think the best is the Intel X25-E Extreme 32GB. But for £66 cheaper I could get 2 OCZ Vertex Series 30GB and put them in RAID 0. More speed more capacity. Plus an extra 20MB/s the Intel isn't that much faster than the OCZ Vertex.

What do you guys think? Am I missing any other SSD's?

Suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
the ONLY SSD's you should buy at the moment for OS, games and apps are Intel's new 34nm line.

at £160 or $225, how can you argue? you get 80GB of space and the fastest Reading SSD on the market.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
you are not going to get many, if any games or apps on your ssd after your OS load if you go with a 30gb drive. Right now I think it is still too early to purchase these drives for most home builds. Unless money is no object the slight gains you get over a good 7200rpm drive and reduced storage size is just not worth it. The money you save could make much more noticeable improvements in other areas such as graphics and cpu. The only real world performance advantage of the ssd is in load times, but once you are in the programs very little difference can be seen unless you are a professional moving around huge files, but that would take a huge ssd drive that most people simply cannot afford.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

True but will this be faster than 2 OCZ Vertex drives in RAID 0? I think not, and they are not that much more expensive.