Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Hang at windows logo on boot

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 26, 2011 12:47:36 AM

I'm new here and learn alot from this site I thought this would be the right place to ask. I have a dell XPS 435 MT with a core i7 920 running windows 7. It came with a 500 gig seagate drive. I added a 750 gig seagate after I got it and have been using it for storage.

I just got a new intel ssd 320, I cloned the original drive to the ssd set up AHCI set the new drive as the first boot device. Installed the ssd and booted it with no problems. So far I love it runs fast.

After using my computer for about a week with no problems I connected the original hard drive to usb and reformated it to get rid of windows. Then I insalled the drive in to my last sata port and it hangs at the windows logo everytime. It will not boot with it insalled on a sata port. When I unplug it it boots just fine. What am I missing? I think it has somthing to do with the MBR but im not sure how to fix it.

More about : hang windows logo boot

a b G Storage
April 28, 2011 7:40:27 PM

I would download and install killdisk, then connect the old drive via USB, use killdisk to erase the entire drive (where it shows up in the explorer-like window, select the root of that drive). This will zero the HDD, restoring it in a factory-clean state (unlike the Format). Then you can format it and use it as an internal HDD.
m
l
May 5, 2011 1:15:38 AM

Thanks for the help. Sorry i'm slow on getting back here. I did the same thing I think? I used the seatools software to erase the drive via usb reinsalled formated and now it works fine. Thanks again for the help.
m
l
a b G Storage
May 5, 2011 6:51:57 PM

No problem, glad to help.
m
l