Sign in with
Your question

Is a GT 220 worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2009 8:09:50 PM

I'm in the process of buying a Dell Inspiron 545 and I need to make a judgement call. I am a light but more-than-casual gamer and I need to decide between the ATI HD 4350 and a GeForce GT 220 ($100 more). Help please! Anybody!

More about : 220 worth

August 13, 2009 8:12:49 PM

Here are the quick specs...

- Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8300 (4MB L2, 2.5GHz, 1333FSB)
- Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
- 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
- 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 2 DIMMs
- 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
- ***ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB***

...I've starred the video card. If you'd like to see the other available options follow the link below. Thank you again for any help.

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=di54...
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2009 8:20:37 PM

You seem to be concerned with graphics performace. I suggest build a dual core system with an e8400 and a 9800 GT and you'll pay less and get more horsepower than with the Dell system.
Related resources
August 13, 2009 8:23:24 PM

seconded
August 13, 2009 9:10:25 PM

If you feel comfortable enough with it, then i would agree with the posters above, building your own machine is generally cheaper and you get optimize it for what you need and get a better machine. There are people on Toms more than willing to help you pick out parts, but it's ultimately up to you.
a c 107 U Graphics card
August 13, 2009 9:37:33 PM

The GT 220 is nvidias 40 nm part and has DX10.1. Since it has a 64-bit interface I think it's just an updated 9400GT, but no one really knows since it's an OEM only part that no one has bothered to test :D . Anyway $100 is not worth it for that weak card. If you're gonna buy the dell then just buy it as is and add in a much more powerful Radeon 4850 which costs under $100 now. That's if the PSU can hack it anyway. If not then a 4670 would be a good and cheap option while still being faster than the GT 220.
a b U Graphics card
August 13, 2009 11:36:46 PM

10.1? Nvidia finally got around to that? It took them long enough...
August 14, 2009 2:05:28 AM

First off, most helpful responses ever, thanks everyone. I have been eyeballing another system whose parts I selected myself. What's your opinion on a dual core duo E7400 with an ATI HD 4670? I figure that, along with 4GB of RAM should keep things cheap (~$700 CAN) while still providing me with enough gusto to game on... Would you agree?

Thanks a million once again
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 7:08:49 AM

The 4670 is a significantly faster card than the GT 220. That would be a much better gaming setup than the Dell listed above.
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 8:48:56 AM

Torrk said:
First off, most helpful responses ever, thanks everyone. I have been eyeballing another system whose parts I selected myself. What's your opinion on a dual core duo E7400 with an ATI HD 4670? I figure that, along with 4GB of RAM should keep things cheap (~$700 CAN) while still providing me with enough gusto to game on... Would you agree?

Thanks a million once again

Agreed that this system is better for gaming than the first one you posted. If you can, select a motherboard that allows you to overclock the CPU so that you'll have even better performance. Keep in mind that if you're a gamer who will eventually play on a 22 inch monitor (cheap! - about $140 now) or larger, the 4670 will struggle to use native resolution of 1680 X 1050. On a 19 inch monitor, the 4670 gives average performance for the latest 3D intensive games. What games are you planning to get?
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 9:03:51 AM

You cpu could also go the AMD way with PII X2 550. And please get a decent psu for your build.
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 7:37:20 PM

at 13xx x 768 a gt220 will do very well with most games. How much are these laptops. I have a gt130. I can play SFIV at high settings, left 4 dead on medium to high.
August 23, 2009 9:20:45 PM

Hi 100Island Boy,

I just got a cheap scratch and dent Inspiron 545s slim with the following specs:
2.8 E7400 dual core CPU
6GB DDR2
Vista Premium 64-bit
250W PS (I believe)

I have a great monitor (Dell 2209 WA) with a 1680x1050 native resolution, but I need to get a card with DVI that can hack that. I'm a light gamer (although I'd love to be able to run Sims3...) and will watch an occasional movie, but that's about it.

To complicate matters, it's a slim case, so the card's form factor needs to be pretty small. sigh. If the 4670 wouldn't hack the native resolution, any ideas of a card that would that could also fit in my case?

Thanks,
Lieder_gern

hundredislandsboy said:
Agreed that this system is better for gaming than the first one you posted. If you can, select a motherboard that allows you to overclock the CPU so that you'll have even better performance. Keep in mind that if you're a gamer who will eventually play on a 22 inch monitor (cheap! - about $140 now) or larger, the 4670 will struggle to use native resolution of 1680 X 1050. On a 19 inch monitor, the 4670 gives average performance for the latest 3D intensive games. What games are you planning to get?

September 1, 2009 2:33:45 PM

I think my question is relevant to this thread--please help!

I just got a cheap scratch and dent Inspiron 545s slim with the following specs:
2.8 E7400 dual core CPU
6GB DDR2
Vista Premium 64-bit
250W PS

I have a great monitor (Dell 2209 WA) with a 1680x1050 native resolution, but I need to get a card with DVI that can hack that. I'm a light gamer (Sims 3, etc.) and will watch an occasional movie, but that's about it.

To complicate matters, it's a slim case, so the card's form factor needs to be pretty small. sigh. If the 4670 wouldn't hack the native resolution, any ideas of a card that would that could also fit in my case?
March 30, 2010 2:52:09 PM

i can see that this thread has been dead a little while but I'd rather not start a whole new thread to ask about the same card. i'm running a 5850 card for main graphics could a 1 gig gt 220 run phys-x decently using the modified ngohq drivers?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 2:36:14 PM

If you go to Nvidia.com and choose from Products, GE FORCE, Compare and Buy, you will see that the GE 220 is for casual gamers. If you want an extreme gaming experience and have the money for it, then go for the GE Force GTX 260 and above. You will see a 24x better graphics performance, meaning faster response, better resolution and less lagging, specially on internet based games.
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 3:28:44 PM

rockinthepe said:
i can see that this thread has been dead a little while but I'd rather not start a whole new thread to ask about the same card. i'm running a 5850 card for main graphics could a 1 gig gt 220 run phys-x decently using the modified ngohq drivers?

yep...that will do :) 
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 3:57:30 PM

for PhysX make sure you have at least one of the games on the PhysX list or its not even worth it

though the gt220 would work pretty good just for PhysX
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2010 5:52:18 PM

Go AMD since they're better in terms of bang-for-buck for CPUs under $200.

And get an ATI card since they require less energy so you can buy a cheaper PSU.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 4:22:56 AM

I cannot claim to be a hardcore gamer but I do know a thing or two about computers and there are a few games I have weaknesses for. One of those games just so happens to be Bioware's Dragon Age.

If you've heard of the game you may know that it is a fairly high quality game and it takes a bit of power to run it.

Luckily, the graphics card you're talking about runs it PERFECTLY. That card is in my opinion and amazing deal and a wonderful addition to any computer. It runs with enough power to play current games at the highest graphics settings with no hiccups. I would recommend setting Anti-Aliasing to low or medium levels rather than high however.

For a casual gamer like you or I it is perfect, even if you're playing rather demanding titles. For those who are hardcore gamers it may work as well even. It works perfectly in a low profile setting as well.

Some may claim that this card is loud or overheats but I believe that may be due to their own faulty installations or perhaps they haven't gotten the same drivers I have because for as long as I've used this card it has been whisper quiet (as far as graphics cards go) and I've had no problems with overheating.

Definitely a good choice card.
!