Can't read some CD (considered as blank cd)

raikkonen

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I have a Lenovo laptop (Y410i). Recently my laptop can't read some cd (considered as blank cd) while another laptop can read it. Anybody can help me??

Some disk drives can be picky like that. I had one that did not like some Memorex media.
I re-flashed the firmware couple times, seemed to help temporarily, only to relapse after a while. If you want to try this, make sure you research about the firmware for that particular model, as you could easily brick the drive if not done right.
I ended up replacing the drive with a different model and didn't look back. Of course, I "had" to flash a region-free firmware on the new one, just to make it 'better". That ability was one of the criteria I used when choosing the replacement.

you could try updating the firmware as he said. other than that there isn't much you can do.

some drives just turn tempermental all of a sudden. i've seen it happen on quite a few different drives. then again, i've had drives last over 6 years.

if it started happening after a recent driver update, windows update, etc you could try reverting but this isn't guaranteeing anything. it might not even be linked.

if your drive is under warranty maybe get them to replace it. if it is not then maybe look into an external (or replacement internal) drive if a firmware update doesnt work.