Secondary HArd drive

QQCCA3

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
My primary drive (main/master) or the one with the OS is installed on is a 1TB SATA hard drive. I want to add an IDE 80GB Hard drive. My mother board only has one IDE slot. Can i just connect the hard drive into the IDE slot and format it? My Secondary hard drive has no OS installed on it. I inserted my Windows XP Disk in it and delete the C drive. It says to create a partition. Do I create one? I want to make 4 partitions and is that possible? Also what else do i have to do so my computer recognizes it is a secondary hard drive?

What i was thinking of doing is to connect the IDE hard drive into the IDE slot on my motherboard. unplug the main SATA hard drive. Turn on my computer and insert the XP disk. Create 4 partitons on the IDE hard drive and exit setup. Turn off my computer, then connect my main SATA hard drive back to the motherboard. Go to BIOS and make it so the SATA is my main hard drive. Turn on computer and format the secondary hard drive... Is that what i do?

I am sorry if i am not clear, but i am confused my self to..

Thanks

Add the IDE drive and make sure it is recognized by the bios. You may need to set the master jumper on it.

Boot into windows (from you C drive) and run "disk management". From there you should see your IDE drive. You can partition and format it from there.

QQCCA3

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Master Jumper?

4745454b

Titan
Because IDE channels can have 2 devices on it, you need to set a jumper on the back telling each device whether its the master or slave device on the channel. Look at the back, where you plug the cable and power in. There should be a small block of pins in between them.

QQCCA3

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
are you talking about the 10 pin connector between the IDE and molex on the hard drive? I have to get a new cable that connects that 10 pin slot to the IDE slot on my motherboard?
What if my motherboard only has 1 IDE slot? Do i still need to do the master jumper?

Thanks

Are you sure you are referring to an IDE drive? An IDE drive has a 40/80 pin ribbon cable that connects it to the motherboard along with a 4 pin power connector. The block of 10 pins in the middle is a jumper block.

IDE drive on left, SATA on right:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9009139@N08/1100230407/

As stated before, an IDE channel can support up to two devices so you may need to set the jumper to master to get the bios to see it.

4745454b

Titan
Yes, we are talking about those 10 pins. Most drives need to have a jumper on the middle pins (up and down. ::|:: ) to make it a slave. If its the only drive on the channel and it looks like ::::: then its currently a slave, and thats stopping it from working. Its not a cable you buy, its a small piece of plastic with a metal bit at the end that shorts those two pins.

Edited to fix those stupid smileys from showing up.

QQCCA3

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

On my IDE drive, it says that it is a master with slave present. Is that what i need to do? Currently I dont have any pins in the jumper section. It like this
::::: all blank. Also where can i get these plastic clips? My hard drive don't have them.

4745454b

Titan
Any computer store can probably just give you one. Go to a local shop and ask.

Most drives I've seen have a straight master. If yours doesn't I'd probably pick the CS/Cable select option. Just make sure you use the plug on the farthest end unless your cable only supports a single drive.

QQCCA3

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

I found some pins. So currently my IDE drive (the jumper section) is like this ::::: .
From the sticker, it says
::::: is a single or master
::|:: is a master with slave present
:::|: is a slave
::::| is a cable select setting.

which one should i use?

4745454b

Titan
Ok, oddly enough no pins.... Must be something else other then a jumper issue.

Reading back over the thread, you have yet to add the drive even once? If so then there is no issue. Add the IDE drive, and when it boots enter the bios to make sure the SATA drive (from the boot priority list.) After that, enter windows and do the following.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Make whatever partitions you want, format as needed.

4745454b is correct. According to your diagram you should need no jumper on the drive. In my very first post I said to use "disk management" and I had assumed you had done so. 4745454b has provided a link on how to use disk management if you don't know how to use it.