Newbie overclocking question

G

I'm interested in overclocking for the first time and I'm in the process of selecting components for a new gaming system. After reading this recent article it's clear that several Intel chips beat their AMD counterparts. But what if these chips being compared are overclocked?

I don't mean to ask a question like "what is better for games, AMD or Intel", rather I'm trying to understand if there's a general consensus among overclockers on this comparison with modern chips?

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Intel is indeed beating AMD. They have been continuously hammering AMD since their core 2 duo release. AMD has yet to respond but there's high anticipation for Bulldozer that's releasing by September [been dying out since they kept delaying]. Ivy Bridge will be out in 2012. Generally.. all of Intel have good overclockability but I think it's a bit different with the Sandy Bridge generation. The regular one can be overclock but you should not expect much at it. The k edition sandy bridge processors are the one where you can do some amazing overclock. I hear there's going to be an e edition so keep your eye out for that too. AMD provides cheap budget CPUs.. but they get the job done. You will want black edition for overclocking for the unlocked multiplier.

G

Thanks guys, I guess I need to spend some time researching Intel chips. Already I can see the price jump from AMD to Intel.

But good grief, overclocking to 5ghz or more would be great.

G

This is probably a dumb question but its been long enough since I built a system that I never had to think about before.

I see the i5 2500K comes with a built-in graphics processor. I assume you can disable this in BIOS? Or odes it auto-disable itself when a PCI-E graphics card is present?