Sign in with
Your question
Solved

DX58SO slow boot

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2010 4:12:38 PM

Hello,

I have been having the following problem with my system;

It takes a loooong time to display the "intel" board screen from the time I press the power switch. This only happens when I have my USB webcame plugged in. There's a white dash that displays in the top left corner. Solid, not blinking, for like 30 seconds, then the intel screen flashes, then the regular boot starts.

I tried disabling bootable devices including "boot from USB" but still doesn't help.

What can I do?

System specs:

Core i7 920 @3.2 GHz, turbo 3.36 GHz
vcore: auto
6 GB Triple-channel OCZ Platinum DDR3 at 1600 MHz
8-8-8-24
10 x 160
qpi: 1.275
DRAM: 1.62
IOH: 1.175
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB boot drive (internal)
Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB secondary drive (internal)
1 TB eSATA hard drive (external)

HD Radeon 4870X2 @778/980

PSU: Corsair HX1000 (overkill, I know)

Also, the DX58SO has this auxilary SATA power connector on the board. I have that plugged in.

I have good temperatures. At 100% load (prime95) 63 C maximum after 4 or so hours.

More about : dx58so slow boot

Best solution

January 22, 2010 4:23:14 PM

I had a configuration very smilar to yours and a similar problem, so here goes.

My slow boot came down to the DX58so in combination with the Corsair HX1000 PSu.

When I do connect (either of the) SATA mobo connectors I get the slow boot. When I don't, I don't.

Experts have suggested that when you go from the HX850 to the HX1000, you go to a PSU with two seperate "power rails". I have no idea what that means, electrically. But it rings true, since that PSU has a bag full of blue connectors for the blue side and black connectors for the black side. The theory is that you've connected you two main mobo supply connectors (and probably one for your video card) from the blue side, and the molex or SATA mobo connecteor from the black side. Since this is internally two descrete power supplies, the load from your webcam might drag the voltage of one side down just enough to cause electrical potential between the two sides.

I don't understand it, and I don't care to. All I know is that when I had my USB-powered 2-1/2 drive connected I got the same slow boot behavior as you. I disconnected the SATA connection between the HX1000 and the DX58so, and the problem went away. The eSATA ports and the USB drive seemed unrelated to me, but I couldn't argue with results.

Ours is not to reason why, just invert and multiply.
January 22, 2010 6:26:52 PM

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. I'm not at home yet, but I'll try that!
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2010 2:02:06 PM

I have the same processor and the blue "Intel" bios screen shows for at least 2 minutes before windows begins to boot. I was wondering if anyone found a solution.
m
l
August 7, 2010 3:11:06 PM

mortonww said:
Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. I'm not at home yet, but I'll try that!

I'm new to forums so I really am not sure, but trying to reply to this person.

I have the same processor and the blue "Intel" bios screen shows for at least 2 minutes before windows begins to boot. I was wondering if anyone found a solution.
m
l
August 7, 2010 5:19:34 PM

Best answer selected by mortonww.
m
l
August 7, 2010 5:26:10 PM

walterramjet said:
I'm new to forums so I really am not sure, but trying to reply to this person.

Do you have the same power supply?
m
l
August 25, 2010 2:50:37 PM

yes, I have the same power supply
m
l
August 30, 2010 4:51:57 AM

mortonww said:
Best answer selected by mortonww.

n
nSo you solved your booting issue simply by not plugging your PSU into either auxillary power connector on the board?
nI'm having the same issue. I only had the molex connector plugged in. Now I've unplugged it and rebooted, but it still does the same thing.
m
l
!