Sign in with
Your question

How to Configure Two Hard Drives for Audio Recording

Last response: in Storage
April 26, 2011 7:20:29 AM

Just completed the build of my new Core i7 2600 Sandy Bridge system and will be installing Win 7 64 bit. I have two hard drives (WD Caviar Black 500GB and 1TB SATA, 7200rpm, 6.0gb/s) and plan to use the 500 GB drive for OS and programs, and the 1 TB drive for audio storage and samples. I'd like some advice/opinions on how to configure the two hard drives to maximize speed, efficiency, and organization for recording projects. Should I partition one or both drives? If so, how would you divide the partitions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
a c 97 G Storage
April 26, 2011 4:44:03 PM

why do you want to partition the drives?
April 27, 2011 10:04:11 AM

I don't necessarily want to partition the drives. I'm asking for opinions on whether I should or not, and if so, how to divide them.

Related resources
Anonymous
April 27, 2011 3:32:50 PM

drums1225 said:
I don't necessarily want to partition the drives. I'm asking for opinions on whether I should or not, and if so, how to divide them.

Chris, I believe you are asking if you want to partition into sever smaller volumes, which will just complicate things. Example- your 1 terrabyte drive could be partitioned into e f g and h at 500 gigs a piece. In your case this is not necessary. All drives have at least 1 partition.
a b G Storage
April 27, 2011 3:44:47 PM

I would not partition the drives - there may be reasons to do that to extract a small amount of performance. Some people like having a bunch of small drives - and thats fine.

Personally I like a 1:1 mapping of drives and disks and use folders to organize my work...
April 27, 2011 11:56:21 PM

Anonymous said:
Chris, I believe you are asking if you want to partition into sever smaller volumes, which will just complicate things. Example- your 1 terrabyte drive could be partitioned into e f g and h at 500 gigs a piece. In your case this is not necessary. All drives have at least 1 partition.

Yes, exactly. I should have clarified that I meant partition beyond the primary partition.
April 28, 2011 12:02:15 AM

vvhocare5 said:
I would not partition the drives - there may be reasons to do that to extract a small amount of performance. Some people like having a bunch of small drives - and thats fine.

Personally I like a 1:1 mapping of drives and disks and use folders to organize my work...

That's the way I've done it on past builds, but since I'm starting fresh (and it's been almost 9 years since I built my P4 2.53ghz that is finally being put out to pasture), I just wanted some opinions.

Thanks,
Chris
!