Sign in with
Your question

No signal to monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 13, 2009 9:11:09 PM

My computer was working fine but now the monitor won't work and when I try to turn it on or off it states, no DVI signal to monitor, no VGA signal to monitor. What does that mean? All connections are tight, what should I replace first?

More about : signal monitor

August 13, 2009 10:47:06 PM

try swappng the monitor with another one...
try swapping the vid card..

Are you 100% sure the VGA cable is connected corectly?

Does your monitor have a "source" button on the front? If so push it once.
August 13, 2009 10:58:27 PM

when I press the 'source' button it says 'monitor going to sleep'. The monitor is only about 3 months old and has worked fine for those few months. I unhooked the cable and hooked it again - I had to look it up online to see what cable it was and I came up with the one that had little pins in it and had to be screwed in. I will try to connect it again. Can that cord go bad or can a monitor go bad in just months?
Related resources
a c 128 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2009 11:57:56 PM

Monitor:
1. Press a button to go into the monitor setup. if you can see this on the screen it's unlikely you have an issue (though it doesn' confirm the cord and input stage of the monitor)

2. Hook up to another computer. This is by far the best method of troubleshooting.

Computer:
1. Swap video cards.

After this your troubleshooting your computers PSU, motherboard etc but it's very likely the monitor or video card that is the problem.

My money's on the video card. Whenever you upgrade, keep an older card for troubleshooting purposes. If you have onboard video, hook up to it instead. If you have multiple video sources (onboard or PCIe) you need to go into the BIOS after booting (usually "DEL") and change the order. If you had the cable hooked up to the onboard video but still had PCIe selected as the first video choice you wouldn't get anything out.
August 14, 2009 12:17:45 AM

thanks for your help. Is the video card something that I can change myself? Does it come with directions?

I can only see images on the monitor when it is turned on or off, otherwise it says it is sleeping, then goes black.

I only have 1 computer- I'm sure I can't use my laptop- so is it worth borrowing a computer to check it out and if so, the computer itself or just the monitor?
a c 128 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2009 6:15:54 PM

Troubleshooter's use something called the 50% or half-split method.

In this case, we draw a line that divides your COMPUTER from your MONITOR. If we test your monitor on another computer and it works then it must be your computer.

Generally, you start with whatever's easiest.

Graphics cards are pretty easy to change though the first step is normally to remove the drivers (which you can't do if your computer screen is blank.)

Normal method:
1. Add/Remove -> Remove drivers
2. Turn OFF
3. Swap video cards
4. Turn ON
5. Install latest drivers (usually from NVidia or ATI site direct)

You'll have to modify this so you remove the drivers (then reboot) once you gain access to Windows.
August 17, 2009 6:41:57 PM

if you are just testing to see if it is the graphics card or monitor, you don't need to worry about drivers.

Because you don't know how to change a graphics card, I assume this is a prebuilt computer from an OEM like Dell, HP ... ? Or was it something you had a friend or someone build for you?

@photonboy: when removing drivers you want to use something that goes into the registry as well to remove possible conflicts. Add/Remove is not a good tool, and you should use something like RevoUninstaller.
a c 128 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 17, 2009 8:27:03 PM

I've built a lot of computers, including jumping between NVidia, ATI and Intel and haven't seen a single issue in the last couple years by using Add/Remove.

I''m not saying you are wrong though.

People should be very careful with more elaborate Registry programs; if you want to hose your computer get something that "cleans" your registry.
August 18, 2009 3:14:04 AM

photonboy: yes, but revouninstaller will set restore points before it does anything in the registry and you can always back it up before hand.
!