July 24, 2009 8:49:13 PM

Computer Components -
AMD x2 6000 cpu
Asus M2N-E Motherboard
Antec 750 Watt PSU
Geforce 8800 GTS
4gb Geil Dragon DDR2
ect things...

Ok now I've read a lot of posts around the net with similar problems but no luck yet... My computer when completely put together would just turn on, then 3 seconds later, shut back off. There are no post codes, no display. The motherboard light is on and green and fans ect spin up and work but also shut back off.

So here's some things that I've tried...

Taking out one component at a time and retesting until I ended up with just the motherboard, PSU, and 1 fan. Same issue. I also read that this might be a grounding issue or something with the power button sticking so the motherboard was taken out and put on carboard and tested with 3 of the same Antec 750 watt PSUs using a screwdriver to power the computer on. Same result with all 3 power supplies.

I then thought that since this motherboard came pre-tested, perhaps some BIOS settings were screwed up? Cleared the cmos and retested *only PSU, Motherboard, and fan* and the board and fan powered up for maybe 5 seconds then went back off again.

Any ideas guys? Starting to think that maybe I got a bum board? Any help is appreciated!

-Matthew McIntire
-ugsystems
July 24, 2009 10:31:06 PM

Yeah I've already tried everything that is on that list that would apply to my case. Nice post there too btw! Thinking about RMA'ing the board and trying another one just to see if there are different results. Really there's nothing left to test that I can think of.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2009 12:39:38 AM

Well, usually they don't shut off again. That to me is an indication of heat or electrical problems. You have done what you can to eliminate a short, but could there be an issue with the heatsink? Some large particle in the thermal pad?
July 26, 2009 6:41:58 PM

Proximon said:
Well, usually they don't shut off again. That to me is an indication of heat or electrical problems. You have done what you can to eliminate a short, but could there be an issue with the heatsink? Some large particle in the thermal pad?

Nothing that I noticed but to be sure I cleaned the surface and added a new, thin layer of arctic silver there and still got the same results. Even without the processor/heatsink installed, the board has power for roughly 3 seconds then shuts off.
!