Dell Savaging + New parts

G

Hey guys, first off I want to say I'm not very computer-savvy.

Basically I have a dell xps that just suddenly broke (powersupply and motherboard died, somehow, lol.)
What I was wondering is if I can just buy a new mobo and powersupply and if it will work again.
I noticed that the harddrive, cd drives, etc used differant power cables, I believe it was SATA cables.

The gpu in there is a 9800gtx, cpu is a core 2 duo, 2gb ram (ddr2 5300? I believe).
The only things I need to replace is the power supply and motherboard.

Is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358 a good mobo?
And what would be a good power supply

Can you link your exact model XPS or at least give us a pic with the side off, and the back? Would go a long way to determining compatibility. Dell can be a bit proprietary and you are right to check first.

G

Service tag said 6GT58C1.. I put that into dell and got XPS/Dimension 700

You'll also most likely run into problems with your OS. You can't usually just replace the motherboard in a system without at least repairing the OS installation. That could be hard to do since most Dell systems come with a version of the OS that can't be installed on anything but a Dell.

G

OS wont be a problem.. just curious to which parts are proprietary

woodie98

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
OS wont be a problem.. just curious to which parts are proprietary
If you go to www.geeks.com you will find some BTX motherboards there cheap. I think that they can handle your core 2 processor and then you just need a good standard power supply.

Dell BTX is not quite the same as Intel BTX ( holes and slots don't lineup the same ), and I'm pretty sure the 955 Express chipset doesn't support C2D, don't have a spare chip laying around to try it.

TRENDING THREADS