Sign in with
Your question

New I5-2500k w/ 212+, high temps

Last response: in Overclocking
August 27, 2011 1:33:09 AM

So i just build a new I5-2500k rig... The first thing I noticed was in the bios my cpu is idling betwen 52-54C which seems very high to me. The motherboard is an asus Z68 pro, i installed using a very thin layer of AS5... The heatsink is definitely cool to the touch, and i'm concerned something isn't quite right... Could it just be the bios readout? Btw says the mobo temp is around 82F...

More about : 2500k 212 high temps

a c 242 K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 1:59:36 AM

Is your hsf secure properly ? And how about airflow, enough fresh air supply ?
m
l
August 27, 2011 2:04:14 AM

airflow is definitely not an issue, using a 600MT case with a 200mm fan at the top, 200mm fan intake and 120mm fan....

hsf was installed properly but i'm starting think i didn't use enough AS5... i just use a rice sized amount and spread it on the heatspreader....

i have pictures of the install that i can provide if it helps... including the spreading of the AS5 on the heatspreader... lol
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 2:27:06 AM

Rice sized? As in one-grain-of-rice sized? Yeah, you'll want to reseat with more TIM.
m
l
August 27, 2011 2:36:26 AM

hope this helps...
m
l
August 27, 2011 8:30:09 AM

1. The BIOS reading is incorrect. It shows 64C at idle and CPU Thermometer shows 30C on my PC.

2. You had to put a small amnt. of paste on the middle of the back of the CPU, not spread it. Just a small tip would do.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 1:41:23 PM

your thermal paste looks ok to me. one thing that looks screwy to me if your fan placement on the cooler. it is pushing or pulling? id have the fan set towards the rears of the case, and make sure that it is pulling through heat sink. the fan will blow the air that just passed through the heat sink, and blow it out your rear exhaust fan. at least that is the most common set up.
m
l
a c 235 K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 2:27:28 PM

smckdwn989 said:
So i just build a new I5-2500k rig... The first thing I noticed was in the bios my cpu is idling betwen 52-54C which seems very high to me. The motherboard is an asus Z68 pro, i installed using a very thin layer of AS5... The heatsink is definitely cool to the touch, and i'm concerned something isn't quite right... Could it just be the bios readout? Btw says the mobo temp is around 82F...

The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ as with all HDT (Heat Pipe Direct Touch type heat sinks), needs some pre-installation attention to the base, and that's very important!

First off clean the heat sink base and CPU heat spreader with 70% isopropyl alcohol and paper towel or Qtip to remove any manufacturing oil that may be present on the heat sink base.

The grooves on the heat sink base between the aluminum and copper pipes needs to be filled level with the thermal compound.

The best method is using an old credit card type of plastic, apply and pull the thermal compound across the base, parallel and perpendicular to the pipes, working it into all the gaps, then finish off with a parallel pull leaving no excess at all.

That prepares the heat sink base with no air gaps, air gaps are bad!

Once you do that, the thermal spread on the CPU heat spreader should be as thin and even as tissue paper and you can see through tissue paper!

Thermal compounds maximum efficiency is the less the better, all you're doing is filling the microscopic imperfections between the 2 surfaces, too much thermal compound and it insulates more than it conducts the heat.

AS5 will improve as much as 3 to 5c after it cures, as long as you don't apply too much of it.

Remember; You're only filling the microscopic imperfections between the two surfaces.
m
l
!