Sign in with
Your question

Computer Turns on For 1 second Then OFF

Last response: in Systems
July 24, 2009 9:54:33 PM

So im kinda new to building computers, and i would really apperciate any help i could get! i recently built one here are the specs :
AMD x2 Anthlon 2.8GHZ CPU(BOUGHT ABOUT 3-4 MONTHS AGO BRAND NEW)
Asus M3N72-D AMD AM2+ Nvidia Nforce 750a MotherboarD (BRAND NEW BOUGHT YESTERDAY)
Radeon HD4680 Vid Card (BRAND NEW BOUGHT YESTERDAY)
CoolMaster 460W PSU (BRAND NEW BOUGHT YESTERDAY
ADATA 2x2 gigs DDR800 RAM/PATRIOT 2x2 gigs DDR800 RAM (Both bought within 4 months time span)
ABS Aplus ABS-CS-Monolith Black SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

last night i but it all together and for some reason it will not start up. it turns on for a quick second (fans light up and spin) but then with a blink of my eye it shuts off. Its super fraustrating because i have no idea whats wrong. ive been reading through some forums and am going to try taking out each stick of ram and im also going to test out my new psu when i get home(at work right not). I really hope someone has a suggestion for me, i am also going to try using spacers because currently there are none installed. Anyone have advice for this frustrated girlyy :(  (guys at frys thought it was funny that i was building a computer and not my boyfriend) HELP PLEASE!!

More about : computer turns

July 24, 2009 10:04:01 PM

If by "spacers" you mean the standoffs that go between the case and motherboard, you absolutely NEED those! That would be the first thing to fix. There are quite a few more troubleshooting ideas in this checklist:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

If you're still having problems after you install the standoffs, go through every step in the checklist and you should find your problem. #2 on the checklist is a very common mistake.
m
l
July 24, 2009 10:24:55 PM

yah i just ordered spacers from frys.com and will be picking those up right after work and installing them. i hope it works!! i will also take alook at the checklist thanks!!!!
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2009 10:26:16 PM

Anytime. :) 

Let us know how it works out.
m
l
July 24, 2009 11:06:19 PM

Could also need a BIOS flash. According to the ASUS website, the Athlon IIX2 240 2.8GHz is supported in BIOS version 1002, and the Athlon X2 7850+ 2.8GHz is supported in BIOS version 0603. The original BIOS looks to be version 0102.
I recently had a similar issue with my Gigabyte board and Q8400.
m
l
!