Sign in with
Your question

AHHHHH FRIED MY CPU!!!! could it of killed my mobo?

Last response: in CPUs
October 23, 2009 12:40:56 AM

Hi guys

As the title says ive killed my cpu and would jus like to know if there is a chance it could of killed the mobo?

right so here is the story:

i was just putting together my old P4 (sckt 775) rig, it needed a new HSF because the little pins on the HSF snaped so it didnt make full contact with the CPU well i knew this was going to be stupid but hell i did it anyway, i placed the HSF on top of the CPU and closed the last remaing pin down.

i then fired her up and there was no display, but i quick found the culpret of that, which was the monitor lead a quick wiggle and all was good, so i managed to get it to work then i put in a new HDD cause i put in the wrong one. so after that i fired it up again, the wire must of come loose but i managed to get it to work again (it took me about 30 secs to get the wire in the right place,this part will have relivence soon :D )

then i thought "ok all is good lets assemble the CD-drive ect) then fire it up, then she started looping. by that i mean start up and then run a little then shut down then restart, i automatically come to the conclusion the CPU had over heated due to inproper contact. all that time i took sorting the wire out built up heat that i was trying to avoid.

so anywho i took off the HSF it was cold to touch where as the CPU was very hot.

so i gave it one last boot to check everything was ok, big mistake (i was planning on buying a new HSF tomorrow for it)

to stop it from looping from over heating i applied some presure to the HSF with my hand so it made contact with the CPU.

i fired it up, it started looping so i went to turn it off but it automatically just shut off like a split second before i got to the switch :( .... i knew something was not right.

so i though to myself ah what hell lets power it on again, no display.... no matter how much wiggling i done lol

so i removed the CPU, it was cold but noticed a slight brown spot on the underside of it..... it was leaking some kind of oli residue so im guesing its fried.

Now i know it was stupid of me to of done what i did, but i just wanted a quick POST and i am now wishing i quit while i was ahead lol

so going back to my question, would it be safe to say if i was to buy a new CPU everything will be ok or am i looking at a bigger bill?

Thanks in advance

Sean
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2009 1:09:23 AM

ur mobo is probably ok but u should check with a new CPU

and even if it is fried that is ok because ur mobo is probably too old to recognize anything past a Pentium D which is not worth it's money unless it is a wolfdale pentium, but those might be too new
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2009 1:56:24 AM

you are thinking too negatively..
you didnt fry your cpu..

you preemptively forced an upgrade :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2009 1:57:37 AM

sure what he said
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2009 2:05:51 AM

You could have fried your motherboard, but the chances are that it is ok. Only by putting in a new CPU will you know and hopefully the motherboard if faulty won’t damage the new CPU.
October 23, 2009 4:55:34 AM

Did you use thermal compound?
October 23, 2009 6:58:55 AM

Thanks for the reply guys :D 

well i chuck a new 1 in there soon and ill report back on here.

to answer your question terry, yes i used compound :D 

regards

Sean
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2009 10:37:32 AM

I've always thought about forcing an upgrade upon my parents by frying my cpu....but then I dont.
October 23, 2009 1:31:47 PM

Actually, I question whether your CPU is actually fried, I think P4s had PROCHOT thus it will dynamically underclock to save itself from heat. Your CPU may actually be fine.
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2009 8:41:29 PM

Upendra09 said:
ur mobo is probably ok but u should check with a new CPU

and even if it is fried that is ok because ur mobo is probably too old to recognize anything past a Pentium D which is not worth it's money unless it is a wolfdale pentium, but those might be too new

There is nowhere near enough information for anyone to know what cpu his board supports.
a c 106 à CPUs
October 23, 2009 9:08:59 PM

"...could it of killed..."
"...could of killed..."
"...to of done what I did..."

Sorry, I don't understand those constructs.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2009 2:33:58 AM

BadTrip said:
There is nowhere near enough information for anyone to know what cpu his board supports.

if it is a p4 socket 775 then i kow that it won't support a lot of new procs
October 28, 2009 11:17:50 AM

weilin said:
Actually, I question whether your CPU is actually fried, I think P4s had PROCHOT thus it will dynamically underclock to save itself from heat. Your CPU may actually be fine.

Healthy CPUs do not leak oily residue
October 30, 2009 3:44:48 AM

Noted, missed that part of the post.
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 8:13:40 PM

u should get a new mobo or go a new platform,

Go AMD and it will be cheaper and last longer for a new mobo and CPU
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 8:20:47 PM

Upendra09 said:
u should get a new mobo or go a new platform,

Go AMD and it will be cheaper and last longer for a new mobo and CPU

youre prob right about it lasting longer, since bulldozer seems to be on the distant horizon, lol
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 8:24:12 PM

wow u actually agreed with me for the first time, surprising
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 10:52:00 PM

I was being facetious, That was a jab at AMD not having new architecture for 2 more years.
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2009 11:52:06 PM

in that case never mind

but to the OP go with AM3 AMD mobo
October 30, 2009 11:57:39 PM

Haha funny you should say that actually.

as ive stated it is an old rig.

on the rig im running now, it has the following spec

AMD 9950 phenom 125w Black Edtion (quad-core)
Sony DVD+RW
Alphapower 1050watt
HIS Radeon HD 4870
Asrock 780gxh (780g chipset, with Crossfire support AM3 CPU ready, FSB 2600)
4gb Patriot 800mhz DDR2

so tis a lil bit of an upgrade to the one stated in the post :D 

i just got a new CPU and mobo but ill try the new CPU in the old mobo and ill report bk sometime tomorrow with my findings :D 

Kind regards

Sean
November 9, 2009 2:17:52 AM

Right guys just an update. seems like i KOed the mobo and CPU :p  but i got replacements for £15 BARGIN!!! :p 

Kind regards

Nytrus90
!