draterrojam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Ok, I'm really new at this. I have a computer that I built with two 1tb western digital drives. To help make faster, I was looking into adding a SSD. However, given how much they cost I was looking to make it just for the OS (like a 40 or 60gb drive). I believe this is possible, but I can't find a guide that I really understand. As I said, I'm kind of a noob here, any help or a push in the right direction would be great. Thanks.

using a SSD for OS/drive will definitely make your system seem faster.

of course you can have a seperate drive for your OS then storage. any search on google for "using an SSD as a boot drive" will return many sources.

i would definitely go with the 60 and not the 40. you will be placing programs on this drive as well as the os so you want a little bit of room. even if you installed a program on your normal HDDs it would tie itself to the OS drive.

i've heard that older drives might not play nice with older motherboards. a bios reflash was required. i think the new sandforce controller SSDs eliminate this.

i just got into using the drives myself so i'm no authority on the matter. i'm just passing on all the information from research i've done on the subject.