Need help advice on unexpected shutdown thinkpad

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 30, 2004 12:19:16 PM

I have a IBM thinkpad a20m p3 700, 128mb, 12gb hdd,. I am trying to
load windows xp pro on this machine but the install causes the machine
to power off or die at the exact same time every time i try to load
xp.

I have run scandisk surface on the hard drive and it has a clean bill
of health. I have taken out the battery and am running only on ac
adapter power. I have checked the cmos battery and it shows 3v. I have
swapped memory back and forth and have tried to run on one 64mb stick.
I have upgraded the bios to ibm latest 1.13 version.

I have checked for stuck keys, I have reseated the cdrom, the hard
drive. I have tried a different xp disc.

I have given it some thought and my theory is there are three things
being accessed at the crash point, the cdrom, a certain part of the
hard drive, and a certain location of memory. The hard drive checked
out with scandisk surface so I am not sure that is it. It crashes at
29 minutes left in xp install just as the cdrom is spun up and the
hard drive starts working again.

Does anyone have any ideas? I thank you in advance

a b D Laptop
April 30, 2004 12:38:32 PM

Derek D wrote:
> I have a IBM thinkpad a20m p3 700, 128mb, 12gb hdd,. I am
> trying to load windows xp pro on this machine but the install
> causes the machine to power off or die at the exact same time
> every time i try to load xp.
>
> I have run scandisk surface on the hard drive and it has a
> clean bill of health. I have taken out the battery and am
> running only on ac adapter power. I have checked the cmos
> battery and it shows 3v. I have swapped memory back and
> forth and have tried to run on one 64mb stick.
> I have upgraded the bios to ibm latest 1.13 version.
>
> I have checked for stuck keys, I have reseated the cdrom, the
> hard drive. I have tried a different xp disc.
>
> I have given it some thought and my theory is there are three
> things being accessed at the crash point, the cdrom, a certain
> part of the hard drive, and a certain location of memory. The
> hard drive checked out with scandisk surface so I am not sure
> that is it. It crashes at 29 minutes left in xp install just as the
> cdrom is spun up and the hard drive starts working again.

You might try a more thorough disk checker:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Download Drive Fitness Test and run its Exerciser. That gives the drive a
real workout and may catch problems that scandisk misses.

I'd also try another hard drive. www.zipzoomfly.com is a good source for
drives.

You might also try reading the entire CD-ROM on another machine. Or better
yet, if you have any Win98SE machine, make a Win98SE boot floppy (using the
Startup Disk tab in the Add/Remove Programs control panel). Use this floppy
to boot your ThinkPad, FDISK and FORMAT the hard drive, and use the COPY
command to copy the i386 directory from the CD-ROM onto the hard drive. This
is just to make sure that entire directory can be read from the CD-ROM.
(Better yet, put XCOPY.EXE from the Win98SE system onto that boot floppy and
use XCOPY /S to copy the entire CD-ROM onto the hard drive.)

-Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 30, 2004 1:43:46 PM

Derek D wrote:
> I have a IBM thinkpad a20m p3 700, 128mb, 12gb hdd,. I am trying to
> load windows xp pro on this machine but the install causes the machine
> to power off or die at the exact same time every time i try to load
> xp.
>
> I have run scandisk surface on the hard drive and it has a clean bill
> of health. I have taken out the battery and am running only on ac
> adapter power. I have checked the cmos battery and it shows 3v. I have
> swapped memory back and forth and have tried to run on one 64mb stick.
> I have upgraded the bios to ibm latest 1.13 version.
>
> I have checked for stuck keys, I have reseated the cdrom, the hard
> drive. I have tried a different xp disc.
>
> I have given it some thought and my theory is there are three things
> being accessed at the crash point, the cdrom, a certain part of the
> hard drive, and a certain location of memory. The hard drive checked
> out with scandisk surface so I am not sure that is it. It crashes at
> 29 minutes left in xp install just as the cdrom is spun up and the
> hard drive starts working again.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? I thank you in advance

What is the state of the HD for the install? Is is fdisked and
formatted? Is it FAT32 with an OS installed? In BIOS setup, is the HD
properly typed - usually Auto? Is PnP OS set? Power management turned
off? Have you removed all peripheral devices like a NIC and printer?
Powering off is in my head at possible BIOS issue.

Otherwise, your theory is on target, but hard to pin down. You might do
two things to help diagnosis: get memtest (google) and run a thorough
RAM test, and get a HD analysis utility from IBM and see what it shows.

I will opine that you might not be happy at all with XP with only 128MB
RAM. I've done it on a PII, and XP works all right, but it is slow.
OTOH you have a 3x faster processor.

a b D Laptop
April 30, 2004 7:36:30 PM

Derek D wrote:
> I have a IBM thinkpad a20m p3 700, 128mb, 12gb hdd,. I am trying to
> load windows xp pro on this machine but the install causes the machine
> to power off or die at the exact same time every time i try to load
> xp.
>
> I have run scandisk surface on the hard drive and it has a clean bill
> of health. I have taken out the battery and am running only on ac
> adapter power. I have checked the cmos battery and it shows 3v. I have
> swapped memory back and forth and have tried to run on one 64mb stick.
> I have upgraded the bios to ibm latest 1.13 version.
>
> I have checked for stuck keys, I have reseated the cdrom, the hard
> drive. I have tried a different xp disc.
>
> I have given it some thought and my theory is there are three things
> being accessed at the crash point, the cdrom, a certain part of the
> hard drive, and a certain location of memory. The hard drive checked
> out with scandisk surface so I am not sure that is it. It crashes at
> 29 minutes left in xp install just as the cdrom is spun up and the
> hard drive starts working again.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? I thank you in advance

Hi,
How about running some hardware diagnostics?
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2004 2:18:43 AM

Thanks for the replies, I am going to run the hitachi drive checker
and look more thoroughly at the bios now.

If any one else has any input please post!

thanks,

a b D Laptop
May 1, 2004 2:40:38 AM

The state of the HDD is fdisk and formatteed with a win98 boot disk.
Then XP pro formats with ntfs before it loads the operating system.

Running hitachi disk fitness right now.
Will run memtest next, then inspect the bios more thoroghly.

thanks,
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2004 6:56:57 PM

Derek D <milkman5241@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a IBM thinkpad a20m p3 700, 128mb, 12gb hdd,. I am trying to
> load windows xp pro on this machine but the install causes the machine
> to power off or die at the exact same time every time i try to load
> xp.

Copy the i386 folder from the CD to a folder on the HD and try loading XP
from there!

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2004 6:59:00 PM

Derek D <milkman5241@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The state of the HDD is fdisk and formatteed with a win98 boot disk.
> Then XP pro formats with ntfs before it loads the operating system.

IIRC, XP Pro converts the HD to NTFS at the END opf the install, not the
beginning.

> Running hitachi disk fitness right now.
> Will run memtest next, then inspect the bios more thoroghly.

Let us know the results.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 1:49:27 AM

Update

Windows 98se installs no problem. Must be something about windows xp
install that causes the crash. I have tried an upgrade from 98se to xp
but that also cause the computer to crash.

Going to do a xp compatibility test and see if there is anything I can
find something that is not compatible.

thanks,
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 1:51:08 AM

Used hitachi disk fitness test and that passed.

Used memtest to test the memory and that passed also.

a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 11:41:28 AM

Derek D wrote:
> Update
>
> Windows 98se installs no problem. Must be something about windows xp
> install that causes the crash. I have tried an upgrade from 98se to xp
> but that also cause the computer to crash.
>
> Going to do a xp compatibility test and see if there is anything I can
> find something that is not compatible.
>

> thanks,
Hi,
Does it crash at same spot always?
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 2:16:57 PM

Yes it crashes at the same spot when I try to install win xp. With 19
minutes left in the install as the cd spins up and the hard drivbe
starts working and it crashes.

Compatibilty test did'nt really tell me anything.

Not sure what to do now. I flashed the latest firmware for my hard
drive and that did'nt help.

a b D Laptop
May 2, 2004 11:13:49 PM

Derek D wrote:

> Used hitachi disk fitness test and that passed.
>
> Used memtest to test the memory and that passed also.

You might try to force installation in non-ACPI mode. This would affect
power management operation etc. ... but may be your best bet.
Can't remember the exact stage of installation whwere this is done ...
someone else could tell you ...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 1:05:42 AM

The bios says I have a 700mhz cpu and then I run an Intel cpu id tool
via bootable diskette and it tels me I have a 550mhz.

I wonder if that is the problem. I have the power settings on max for
the cpu in the bios.

Would like to try to install in non acpi mode but will have learn how.

I also ran pc doc from ibm and it found no hardware errors.

thanks, d
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 9:12:11 AM

Derek D wrote:

> The bios says I have a 700mhz cpu and then I run an Intel cpu id tool
> via bootable diskette and it tels me I have a 550mhz.
>
> I wonder if that is the problem. I have the power settings on max for
> the cpu in the bios.
>
> Would like to try to install in non acpi mode but will have learn how.
>
> I also ran pc doc from ibm and it found no hardware errors.
>
> thanks, d

Do you have it running plugged in with a battery installed? Thinkpads fall down
to the slower speed with just a charger or battery in. With both, it runs at
faster speed. Plug in both charger and batt, then run the speed diagnostic
again.

TJ
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2004 3:17:07 PM

Breakthrough!!!!!

I have finally installed xp onto the laptop. Here is why I had such a
hard time.

You must have the battery installed and the ac hooked up when
installing xp. My battery is not in good shape but I still had to use
it. The thinkpad was beeping like crazy when installing xp but it
still installed.

XP would not load with ac only!!

I assumed that the battery was not necassary and that ac would suffice
but you must have the battery installed. This may have something to do
with the speed step processor installed.

thanks for all that have helped out.

February 19, 2009 7:03:29 PM

T20 Screen blanks hibernates, freezes, standby using xp

My ThinkPad t20 was upgraded with XP and it froze and the monitor turned off during install as stated above. I then put the bad battery back in and repeated the install when both monitors turned off either by hibernation or standby but, could not unfreeze the laptop without turning off the machine, pulling both batteries and then rebooting.
The third attempt I then kept moving the mouse during the install and the external monitor and laptop monitor shut down for a second and then came back on during the install process, the install was successful.
Now; after the install every about 25 to 30 minutes the external and laptop monitor turns off and I cannot turn it back on, It seems as if it moved to hibernation or sleep and does not want to work without unplugging the external power and battery.
I do not believe the problem lies in the inverter because I have an external monitor that parellels the same problem and I can't imagine it is the CPU heat. In cmos I have shut down Hibernation and all other time out events and it keeps happening.
Could this be a video driver problem?
I have upgraded the bios and the problem still happens to this day.
Should I have a Fat partition inorder to allow the hybernation procees to work properly?
Is there a Config sys code problem?
I have configured the power management in xp to not shut down for any reasion.
The screen turns off in periodic time frames almost like clock work if I do not show movement on the mouse and when the monitor turns off it sounds like the harddrive is shutting down but, not sure.
The video driver I am using is Savage not Vesa.

Any ideas will be helpfull.
February 21, 2009 9:54:32 PM

p3 wont take xp its too advanced for it. simple as that. install a windows 98 that's your best bet.
March 10, 2009 3:02:13 AM

These T20-23 units that were made by IBM have xp load issues I have seen shut down right at the f8 accept install and the disk verification steps. I have had success more often with win 2k pro as these were cleared through IBM to run that O/S that would be as fast as I would dare. Believe it or not there are 1ghz processors out there that will run in this laptop, 512 mb of ram is really needed as well. I also have some luck when I reset the bios to defaults and then go directly to a os install. hope this helps someone, IBM laptops are temperamental even on the best days when you install an O/S. and of course these machines tend to eat battery's, 1-2 years at best for a new one, I would like to try one of the 5200 Mah available on EbaV.
later
!