Win 7 64bit Home Premium Full OEM

Han

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
I read through the various stickies here and articles at Microsoft and elsewhere online and checked out prices on Newegg and Tiger and I'm still confused about this dreck. What is wrong with Microsoft. Holly hell just sell something please.

It looks to be similar to Windows XP as far as installing from an OEM disc. I bought a pc 7 years ago or so with XP on it from a local computer shop and a year later had to change out the MB. After reinstalling XP from the disc I had to call Microsoft and they reactivated my copy. Since then I've reformatted 5+ times and it activated online without problem.

If I buy Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium Full OEM I will be able to install on my home built pc as far as I can ascertain. There seems to be some confusion or varying opinion on whether you can install from that disc again if you have to change out the MB. Some say yes via the phone activation, some say no. Since its been out for a couple years now I would guess you CAN reactivate by phone if needed. But what is the consensus on this?

Thanks, and if you've seen this question a hundred times already I'll understand if you pass on by!

Han

Greatly explained by area51reopened,

What is the difference between the OEM, and the Retail version of Windows 7?

There are 3 major differences between these 2 items. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows 7 come in either 32, or 64 bit flavors. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 DVD’s in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows 7 cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.

3. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call Microsoft for support with Windows 7, you must pay a fee to do so. Retail copies come with a phone support incident included in the price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/22055-63-what-difference-version-retail

Part of the problem here is that Microsoft's official position has been mixed signals.

One minute, you can move it to replace a defective board, next minute you cant. Sometimes MS in one country says one thing while the head of MS in another country says the other.

They are clear that officially, you cant just move an OEM copy because you want to. But they have never been clear on the details of when you CAN move it.

Han

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah the problem is with Microsoft. It is left ambiguous by them intentionally it appears. Build your own pc and install OEM 7 but then have to get another motherboard? Well, you might be able to install it on the new MB.

I see a full copy of 7 Home Premium is $165 on 'Outlet Deal'. I think I'll bite the bullet and shell out the extra 70 bucks and get the retail and be done with it.

http://www.outletdeal.com/windows-7-home-premium-full-version_p10164

Han