Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to water cool?

Last response: in Overclocking
August 27, 2011 3:37:28 PM

Do I need to Water cool my rig if I am not overclocking?

Rig Specs
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 V3LT-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Black Interior
LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model UH12LS28 OEM LightScribe Support
CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX)
EVGA GeForce GTX 590 (Fermi) 3072MB 768-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

More about : water cool

a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 4:05:32 PM

from what i have read/heard... the 590s can get quite hot, but if you arent doing any overclocking and you have good or even decent case airflow, you should not need to watercool.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 5:42:59 PM

you'll still need fans to get rid of the heat made by that 580. you can get a good air cooler for < 60$. most decent water coolers will cost you 100$+

there are great reads about water cooling and how once a certian temp of the water is reached, its starts to cool less and less. i believe they call it the delta. the air coolers do not suffer the same problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 6:32:33 PM

Most water cooling is inefficient and over-priced. See the link below for a comparison of air cooled HSFs and H2O coolers. Something like the new tech Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 is cost effective and cools well but any of the Top Ten Intel HSFs will work fine even for overclocking.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSI...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 27, 2011 8:04:38 PM

@ Mrthorp- I think you may be referring to LCS coolers when you say "decent water coolers" and you are correct that they often perform on par with good air coolers that are often cheaper. (these are usually for CPU only though, will not help with his GPU)

You also note the diminishing returns of water cooling, at least i believe this is what you are referring to. The air coolers could not possibly suffer from diminishing returns, because they cant get cool enough to start with... This is a reason why lots of people switch to water cooling, so that they can overclock more or run their system at load for a longer time, in order to prevent overheating with air cooling. So what i am saying is, if your cooler isn't performing enough to keep your GPU,CPU etc. below the max temperatures then it couldnt possibly give diminishing returns... I hope that made sense.

Also, if you are not interested in overclocking or other potential hazards to your hardware, temperature wise, anything that is cooler than what is the warmest your CPU, GPU etc. can handle is in some sense... overkill.
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
August 29, 2011 1:31:14 PM

Quote:
you'll still need fans to get rid of the heat made by that 580. you can get a good air cooler for < 60$. most decent water coolers will cost you 100$+

there are great reads about water cooling and how once a certian temp of the water is reached, its starts to cool less and less. i believe they call it the delta. the air coolers do not suffer the same problem.

'Decent' watercooling starts in the $200+ range, so I believe you are somewhat mistaken. LCS coolers offer a liquid solution at a higher price and comparable performance to most mid-high end air coolers...but to reiterate...this isn't true watercooling.
m
l
August 29, 2011 3:45:59 PM

The haf x is a good air cooling case, The 590 is made to get hot it will be ok, Watercooling is always better for the components but if you dont have the time to take care of the waterblocks etc.. its a waste of money, And good watercooling blocks/rad add up quick.
m
l
!