GIGABYTE VS ASUS

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Which brand is better in general?
My gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G died on me so I am sad about that. Non of my ASUS motherboards died on me EVER.
Anyone have opinions on which brand is better for motherboards?

Upendra09

Distinguished
Gigabyte and ASUS are both very reliable and equally good

in the end it just comes down to brand preference

however,, it seems Gigabyte mobos are more advanced such as the new 2 oz PCBs and other tech they use the thicker mobos help disperse heat better and improve conductivity

however, the difference probably won't be noticeable

as for your mobo it seems that it was just too old or maybe it was a fluke bad mobo

IF it was only 3 months old have you called Gigabyte ?? they will probably replace it for you.

From the Newegg Website :

Beyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product's Manufacturer. Below is a summary provided for convenience only and may not be accurate or current. Use this link for full details.

* Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
* Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years

Manufacturer Contact Info

* Manufacturer Product Page|
* Support Phone Number: 1-626-854-9338
* Support Website|
* View other products from GIGABYTE

And this from Gigabytes RMA info website :
Warranty Effective On Date of Manufacture

GIGABYTE determines warranty based on the manufacture date. The manufacture date can be verified by the serial number found on the product. The first four digits after "SN" determine the year and week of manufacturing date. For example:

"4719331822101 SN082540084966" represents the 25th week of 2008

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
With any question like that you're going to get all sorts of hearsay so I might as well add my own. I've had numerous hardware-related problems with Asus (everything from motherboards, to video cards and a netbook) over the last 9 or so years, so personally I'm done with them. MSI too for that matter. I would love to see some up to date failure rate stats on motherboards. My next board is definitely going to be Gigabyte, but again, that's just me.

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Iv always found gigabyte to be about a month ahead in terms of tech and they'v also had more tweaking options.

In terms of quality, im an asus fan, but will always buy gigabyte where its worth it. Like when i needed a basic 6600 card, without a fan to eliminate noise, only decent one i found is gigabyte, and its still running till this day with no problems.

Dracio

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I'm a great supporter of Asus, been using the same mobo on my old processor for nearly 4 years without any problems. Definitely recommend them. I bought a Gigabyte mobo... it was DoA. Not happy at all. I contacted their customer support and after a week... the status of my e-mail is: unopened. So either: they're overwhelmed with customer support requests from fail mobos, or their customer support is awful.
As for MSI... I like them better than Asus. Got an old socket A mobo of theirs- still use it for linux from time to time, it still works perfectly. After years use, changes in hardware, case, even letting my little bro use it, it's even ended up with a couple of capacitors snapped off- it still works perfectly though. MSI is the way to go if you're looking for reliability.

Summary of my systems:
GA-EP45-UD3P | Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (425 MHz X 8.5) C3 stepping :(
GA-EP45-UD3L | Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9)
GA-EP35-DS3P | E5200 OC'd to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12)
GA-G41m-ES2L| E5200, stock, on loan to sis-in-law

Guess. :)

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Since you are soliciting opinions all I can add is that after being loyal to ASUS for quite some time I finally switched after numerous motherboard failures or issues caused by inferior components and other things like crap BIOS's.

I've never purchased a Gigabyte board and that's mostly because as a person active on various forums trying to help with tech issues I noticed that many of the problems were with that brand of board.

To be fair though I don't know if that's simply because there are so many sold to enthusiasts or if it's a quality issue.

I've used MSI boards with no complaints and more recently when I left ASUS as a brand I went with DFI and I've been very happy with their product so far.

If I get the urge to try something different I'm thinking EVGA might well be the next experiment based on some of the performance feedback I've read here.