Sign in with
Your question
Solved

500GB HDD to 120GB SSD?

Last response: in Storage
April 26, 2011 10:11:18 PM

So i just bought this new laptop (m11x r3 with 409 off) and I didn't buy it with the SSD drive because the Samsung one isn't that impressive and for an additional $600 it's just like throwing out money.

What I did do is buy a Patroit Gauntlet and an OCZ Agility 2 120GB for about half the price of the upgrade.

So my question is, how do I transfer my OS (at minimal to no cost) from my HDD to my smaller SSD, Or should I just spend the $100 to buy a Windows 7 OEM CD and start fresh?

I don't have the laptop yet, I should be getting it in about 2-3 weeks, but I already have everything else. My friend told me she could hook me up with Arconis, but I've been skeptical because all of the searching I've done leads me to believe that you can only transfer to a larger capacity and then extending the partition using the administrative tools in windows. Alternatively could I diminish the current parition from 500GB to 120GB and then try to transfer that way?

I'm just so confused at this point and it's starting to eat away at the back of my head.

More about : 500gb hdd 120gb ssd

a b D Laptop
a c 116 G Storage
April 26, 2011 10:25:12 PM

Try using Apricorn's Drivewire and you will be able to do what you want. Read the manual before doing anything. Also, perform a backup using Win 7 'Backup & Restore' in the Control panel.

Here is the link: http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&...

There are other ways to do this, but I have used the above product successfully on one laptop as well as two desktops.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
April 27, 2011 12:30:31 AM

I would do a fresh install of windows buying a new copy... with a SSD you want TRIM to work.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b G Storage
April 27, 2011 2:09:05 AM

I had this exact dilemma and investigated using Acronis to clone to a smaller drive. Turns out you can't - needs to be the same capacity or greater because you clone the entire drive not certain partitions.

I decided to cut my losses, back up my files and reinstall windows on the SSD.

Presumably your laptop came with Windows install discs / restore discs. You should be able to use these without having go and buy another copy of Windows.
April 27, 2011 4:44:36 AM

I'm investigating Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0, for only $20 it would be a good deal. I just don't want to spend money on something useless. My m11x r3 doesn't come with media, but it does come with the ability to create recovery media. I just don't know if that will work with a different drive.

--> http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components...
m
l
May 5, 2011 11:25:18 PM

Well luckily I got a windows 7 install DVD with my Alienware m11x r3, so all I did was replace the 500GB HDD with my 120GB SSD and used my external USB DVD drive to install windows onto the SSD.

Problem solved, at no added cost (thankfully).
m
l
May 5, 2011 11:25:58 PM

Best answer selected by joaompp.
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:48:21 PM

I read the following instructions on another forum and thought they made the most sense, assuming it works as described:

Upon arrival, boot up the system, do the initial OS setup, launch AlienRespawn and create the recovery media.

Swap in the new HDD/SSD, boot up with the recovery media and follow the prompts to restore your factory image.

Poof, all done - aftermarket drive is in and you can setup your system and go from there.

That recovery media is very handy. Make sure you create it and stash it away for a rainy troublesome day.
m
l
!