System fails to boot - clicking noise, rapid on/off/on/off/on/etc...

syclick

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I put together a Core2Duo system about two months ago. It's been a great machine, but about a week or two ago I started to have issues with it. The system currently will not boot. If I tinker with it for a bit, I can sometimes get it to work for about 20 minutes before abruptly dying, but I figured to be safe and keep the system off.

Currently, if I try powering up the system, everything will start up for a second or two, then gets weird. The whole machine turns on, then off, then on, then off... the cycle repeats about once every second. It makes an audible click every time it does so.

I tried removing all components, leaving just the mobo, cpu and ram. Seems to work fine. Turned off and tried adding graphics card... no go. Removed power from that and tried hdd/dvd. No go. Anything above just the cpu/mobo/ram seems to result in the weird power cycle thingie.

Other weirdness:

I've had the system shut down while plugging in the headphone jack. Happened 2-3 times so far.

I've had the system lock up after extremely harsh gaming sessions (Crysis near max in extreme battles).

I've checked the system for possible shorts (things touching the mobo), but everything seems normal. PSU connections to mobo & components seem normal. CPU temp seems fine (~33C idle). GPU temp does not seem to be extreme(~42C idle).

Here are my specs (I'll put them in my sig later):
Intel E8400 Core2Duo Wolfdale 3.0 GHz
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Corsair HX620W PSU
8GB (4x2GB) Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800
XFX GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216
Samsung F1 1TB HDD
LG 22x DVD
Antec Nine Hundred Case
Windows 7 RC1

natsoi

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hi,

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread.

I also have exactly the same problem regarding the start-up of my PC. I'm not really a tinkerer but after having store bought PCs for a few years I decided to take the plunge and build my own.

I assembled the following parts:

Core 2 Duo
Gigabyte GA - 965P - DS4 motherboard
8800GTX graphics card
2GB of Kingston RAM (I forget the detailed specs off the top of my head)

Much like the original poster I had a great time with my homemade machine for about 4-5 months. Suddenly one morning I turned my machine on same as always and it would not boot properly. It starts up, fans run and then dies and will repeat this until I remove the power cord from the PSU. I also have the same click.

I've tried the following to "fix"

Checked all connections

Changed out power supply

Moved RAM to different slots

Started the system with different components removed

Tested the hard-drive in another machine (worked fine)

Took a can of compressed air to the computer in the hopes it would dislodge some dust.

However sometimes it will start fine and run flawlessly for a few days and then revert to how it is now.

I would be great if anyone can walk me through this:

I've done some research on different boards and the next logical step that people suggest seems to be to either remove the battery from the motherboard to reset the BIOS or achieve the same result by shorting the pins next to the battery. I'd be more inclined to remove the battery as a method, is this where I should be heading next?

Just as a side note I've had no problems with system stability even whilst playing games such as Crysis, Far Cry II etc. In fact it's been the most stable PC I've ever had, until now of course.

Thanks and apologies to the original poster I would assume our solutions would be the same, if not I'm sure the mods can direct me to start my own thread.

syclick

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I went through the list before posting, but to no avail. I will probably swap out PSUs, but I don't want to have to wait for an RMA from Corsair before I can use my computer again... maybe borrow a friend's. Don't want to shell out the cash if it turns out that the PSU is not the culprit.