Aug 26, 2011
Hi all,

Here is my situation:

-Setup-
Case: Corsair 600T
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
GPU: 2x 6950 (1x 2-slot, 1x 3-slot)

Run-down:
I have 2x Radeon 6950s in a CrossFire setup in my PC.
I replaced one of the stock coolers with an Accelero Twin Turbo Pro and now that card takes up basically 3 expansion slots.

My second card has a decent non-reference stock cooler on it, but the Accelero is still much better, and I would like to get another to replace the stock one.
However, having 2x 3-slot GPUs on this motherboard will leave *maybe* only 0.5cm of space between the two cards.

The current order I have the cards in looks like this:

-- PCIe x1 = WiFi card
---- PCIe x16 = GPU1 (Stock cooler)
-- PCIe x1 = Blocked
---- PCIe x4 = Blocked
---- PCIe x8 = GPU2 (Accelero)
--- PCI = Blocked
--- PCI = Blocked

Details:
This setup is running just fine, and temps are very decent. However, as I mentioned, I would like to replace the stock cooler on GPU1 with another Accelero if possible.

In order to test if it would even be possible to cram 2x Acceleros into the motherboard, I swapped the GPU1 and GPU2 slots.
Everything worked fine, but this left only about 0.5cm of open space between the PCB of GPU1 and the fans of GPU2.

I tested the temps on this setup and the top card, even when idle and with the better cooler, was consistantly 15-25 degrees hotter. I am assuming this is because of the lack of space between the two cards.

I've searched for different motherboards which would allow for an extra expansion slot between a GPU setup like this, but there are only maybe 3 that look like they would work, and they all cost over $250.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128480
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188092
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128499

If possible, I would love to just keep my current motherboard and figure out another solution. (Maybe adding some strategically placed case fans?)

If this is not feasible, upgrading to a different motherboard under $200 is an option, but I'm having trouble finding one that would even make this work at that price range.
I'd prefer a Z68, but a P67 is also acceptable.

Anyone have any ideas for this setup or different motherboard suggestions that may help me out?

Solution
The reason the temps were higher even with the superior cooler is because as you mentioned the lack of clearance between cards. Even adding a case fan unfortunately would not help because the air flow would not be made high enough. You seem fairly set on getting the same gpu cooler but I'd recommend looking at other gpu cooling options and saving yourself some money from getting a new board when you aren't seeing a need to

Ari3sgr3gg0

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The reason the temps were higher even with the superior cooler is because as you mentioned the lack of clearance between cards. Even adding a case fan unfortunately would not help because the air flow would not be made high enough. You seem fairly set on getting the same gpu cooler but I'd recommend looking at other gpu cooling options and saving yourself some money from getting a new board when you aren't seeing a need to

Solution

bunta714

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Thanks for validating my theory!

I guess I'll try looking for another cooler for now then. Shame since 2 of the Acceleros would look so nice together =(