Question about i5/i7 and 5870 in Crossfire

I've been reading around and people are implying that i5 would suck in Crossfire-ing 5870's...

So...would an i5 bottleneck my future rig of 5870's in Crossfire?

If that so, should I get an i7 if I plan on Crossfire-ing those babies?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me....
12 answers Last reply
More about question 5870 crossfire
  1. yes the i5will bottleneck the xfire

    but if u r looking for a procaround the price of the i5 then look at the phenom ii
  2. Well the reason why most of us say that is because the built in Pci-e controller in the lga 1156 socket cpus. They only do dual 8x speeds instead of dual 16x speed.

    although there are some motherboards that have the pci-e on the motherboard which will aloud 1156 socket cpu to handle dual 16x pic-e speeds but there typically costing $200+

    One of these motherboards is Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer

    there others but i dont have the time to post all of them up.
  3. Upendra09 said:
    yes the i5will bottleneck the xfire

    but if u r looking for a procaround the price of the i5 then look at the phenom ii


    I really don't care about i5's price...although the price of a i7 rig will bite... >.<

    I only have a budget of $1200 for my rig...

    Anonymous said:
    Well the reason why most of us say that is because the built in Pci-e controller in the lga 1156 socket cpus. They only do dual 8x speeds instead of dual 16x speed.

    although there are some motherboards that have the pci-e on the motherboard which will aloud 1156 socket cpu to handle dual 16x pic-e speeds but there typically costing $200+

    One of these motherboards is Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer

    there others but i dont have the time to post all of them up.


    Thanks for the tip. So it's in the i5's motherboard architecture after all that it will bottleneck the i5...


    Another question: would I fare better if I will crossfire 5850's instead? Or should I go with 4890's?
  4. By the way, will these motherboards solve my 'i5 will bottleneck my CF'd 5870's' problem?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130239&cm_re=p55-_-13-130-239-_-Product

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128400&cm_re=p55-_-13-128-400-_-Product


    If you guys have to choose, which one should you get?
  5. well i5 unless u do find a good mobo u will have to go i7 but for less u can go Phenom and save money and the difference in frame rates is almost negligible between the two, but if u are using high end CAD and C4 then u will need the i7

    as for mobos gigabyte it has a more specific PCIe setting
  6. In real world use, you would never notice the difference between i5 and i7 in crossfire. 8x is not fully saturated. The only difference would be a slight difference in benchmark scores.
  7. Upendra09 said:
    well i5 unless u do find a good mobo u will have to go i7 but for less u can go Phenom and save money and the difference in frame rates is almost negligible between the two, but if u are using high end CAD and C4 then u will need the i7

    as for mobos gigabyte it has a more specific PCIe setting


    Thanks.


    Anonymous said:
    In real world use, you would never notice the difference between i5 and i7 in crossfire. 8x is not fully saturated. The only difference would be a slight difference in benchmark scores.


    Yeah that's what I realized just now...maybe the people who say the i5 is the bottlenecker of CF'd 5870 is talking about a few FPS...
  8. I think that CF'd 5850's would be the best bang for the buck rather than 2 5870's.
    The 5870's seem a tad too pricey.
  9. jj463rd said:
    I think that CF'd 5850's would be the best bang for the buck rather than 2 5870's.
    The 5870's seem a tad too pricey.


    Nah I plan on buying ONE 5870 with my rig...and save up for the next 6 months for another...

    Then again you have a point...5850's like $250 and 5870 about $380...and about a difference of a few FPS...
  10. go with i5 and 2 5850s i think you will get best gaming experience that way and you can overclock the i5 a bit :)
  11. Well you decided to go with an i5 to save money (bang per buck) so I figured that
    the 5850's will give you about 90% of the performance of the 5870's for around 68% to 71% of the cost.I think that the 5850's are around $260 or $270 though at newegg.If you decided on an i7 system especially a X58 platform I could see spending the extra money on 2 5870 cards.It wouldn't be as cost effective though.
  12. Derbixrace said:
    go with i5 and 2 5850s i think you will get best gaming experience that way and you can overclock the i5 a bit :)


    yeah w/o burning a hole in my wallet. ty for the input :)


    jj463rd said:
    Well you decided to go with an i5 to save money (bang per buck) so I figured that
    the 5850's will give you about 90% of the performance of the 5870's for around 68% to 71% of the cost.I think that the 5850's are around $260 or $270 though at newegg.If you decided on an i7 system especially a X58 platform I could see spending the extra money on 2 5870 cards.It wouldn't be as cost effective though.


    yeah i'd go with the i7...but im on a tight budget as is >.<
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i7 Crossfire Intel i5 Product