Sign in with
Your question

Double hard disk with different size, speed, and chache.

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 27, 2011 4:25:54 AM

Is there any possible problems that can occur if i mix up two hard disks with different sizes, speeds, and chaches? Because the last time i did, i got one of my hardisk corrupted and fortunately it was in its warranty period and i got it changed with a new one but i am not installing it because i hesitate it would go like the old one. corrupted.

More about : double hard disk size speed chache

a c 392 G Storage
April 27, 2011 12:24:27 PM

If they are older IDE drives, I might see a bad drive messing up another drive on the same channel, but with SATA, I highly doubt it. You probably just had a bad drive.

Also, failing or misconfigured memory can cause disk corruption as well as power spikes/brownouts.

I have 6 drives in my system, not all the same, and they've been running fine for 5 years now.
m
l
April 27, 2011 1:09:40 PM

They are SATA drives. What is misconfigured memory anyway? On top of, one of them is WD Blue caviar and the other one is Green Caviar, just telling if it makes any sense.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 27, 2011 1:30:47 PM

unless you are trying to use the drives in a raid array then it doesn't matter if the drives are different or not. they can be different brands, capacities, speeds, even different connections (sata, sataII, sataIII) and still not cause issues.

hard drives can fail at any time, it could have been a fluke. hard drive corruption on the other hand could be caused by something else in your system.
m
l
April 27, 2011 1:44:28 PM

So, what am i supposed to do? just install the new drive or try to figure out why was my late drive corrupted? okay, i want to put forth more information, the old corrupted one was quite new, it'd been used just about 3 months before went corrupted and the drive that hold my system has been going well without problem for about 2 years. so, why was just one of my drive corrupted and the one that holds my system going well. What is the likely problem causing this? if it were because something else in the system, there's no use of installing the new one, but if its because the hard drive itself, i am going to install it. Please help
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
April 27, 2011 2:20:47 PM

If this is a 2 year old system, I doubt it's a memory configuration problem or failing ram. You can however run memtest86 to rule out your memory.

Hard drives are mechanincal, thus they fail. They can fail after a few years, months, days, hours, or right out of the box. It happens and this could be a one time fluke.

If you have additional SATA ports on your motherboard, maybe you will want to try plugging the drive in on a different port than the one you used on the failed drive.
m
l
April 27, 2011 2:43:40 PM

Okay lets clear this first. I did have some ram issues before. My system cannot start at the first 'black screen'. you know that when you turn on your computer, the first thing appears on the screen, the system start to detect your hard disk, memory amounts, cpu GHZ, the bit, etc, i don't know what the terms used. but it was stuck at memory reading, and froze. Then i pulled out the ram and installed it back and it worked, and it has been working for months. sometimes the problem came back and i did the same thing and it went normal back.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 27, 2011 3:02:32 PM

you definitely might be having some issues with your memory then. running memtest86 is definitely a good idea. if you find out that yes, you definitely have problems with the memory then you can RMA it if under warranty. i've seen a pc with whole sectors of memory destroyed.. but it still booted into xp and acted like nothing was wrong up until it failed in total. do the tests and if its a problem replace it.

i've had a hard drive die with a week of moderate use, i also have one 7+ years old and going strong.. quality of drives is intermittent at best nowdays. i tend to see more drives over 1tb die then ones 1tb and smaller. this is why backing up your information on a regular basis is important.
m
l
April 27, 2011 3:12:05 PM

Seems like it. but If you wouldn't mind, could you explain basically or metaphorically how RAM can contribute in hard disk corruptions? and why didn't it effect both of my hard disks instead of just one?
m
l
a c 392 G Storage
April 27, 2011 3:57:00 PM

Because, anything you save to disk, like a word document, a game save, whatever, starts in memory then the data in memory gets written to disk as a file. If the data in memory is corrupt it gets written to disk the same way.

Disk corruption can be cosmetic or physical. Cosmestic corruption is the drive itself is good, but the data on it is corrupt. This is usually due to memory problems, power problems, and such. Once the under lying problem is fixed, you can use the disk with no problems. Physical corruption is damage to the drive itself. The motor may be dying, the head crashed, sectors are going bad. This type of damage requires the drive to be replaced before a total drive failure occurs.

Why hasn't it effected both drives? I don't know, but it's this reason that made me think it may be a physical problem with the drive, but as I suggested, checking the memory can't hurt.
m
l
!