Sign in with
Your question

Our first Vista vs. 7 VGA test

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 5:04:40 PM

http://www.guru3d.com/article/windows-7-vs-vista-vga-ga...

Quote:
The VGA drivers are not only stable, they work really well and perform good as well. I was afraid that with the coming of a new OS we'd see a performance drop just like we had with the transition from Windows XP to Vista, but if anything, Windows 7 VGA performance is as good as Windows Vista with the obviously occasional random fluctuation in performance here and there though. Looking at the opposite side, Windows 7 won't offer performance increases in graphics performance either with an exception here and there.

Translation: Performance is the same.

*hides from insuring debate*

More about : vista vga test

August 14, 2009 5:10:26 PM

I still love Win 7 regardless.

Win 7 will never compete speed wise with XP but lets face it, XP cant compete with Win2000 for speed.

Win7 FWT!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 5:15:45 PM

I'm just sticking with what works; I'm too lazy to re-format again, especially right after I re-installed all my games from when I switched from XP.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2009 5:22:50 PM

Windows 7 boot is much faster than XP. On my laptop, XP booted in about 45sec, and windows 7 in about 20. Over 2x faster, which was awesome. On my desktop, XP boots in 22 sec, so I wonder how fast 7 would boot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 5:53:18 PM

ya know what I see? The 4890 keeping up with the 285 in all but 1 game. Thanx, nice find
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 6:07:38 PM

Wonder if this will actually mean anything?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 6:34:35 PM

Not really, but I figured I may as well be first to post it. Now, DX11 performance across the two platforms would be something worth debating :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2009 6:47:40 PM

I wonder what a Cat 9.8 on a real winows DX11 would bring? We wont have long to wait, and Im thinking therell be a difference between NOT Vista and W7 as much, as the MT is the biggest differences, but actually, xp vs both Vista and W7
m
l
August 17, 2009 4:05:39 PM

Carickw, one of the things they really tried to focus on was boot times, shutdown times, and resource usage. So you should see comparable boot times versus XP builds on the same equipment. Sometimes even faster depending on your buildout. GamerK316 & jaydeejohn, yeah, DX11 is going to be nice, but really need to see it on some new hardware. I know some of the capabilities of DX11 will be immediately available to many cards (DirectX11 Compute Shader, some texture and memory management model updates, etc), but some of the new stuff will have to wait until new GPUs hit the market probably around spring 2010. Has anybody tried the latest driver builds under the Windows 7 RTM since it hit MSDN and TechNet Plus (source: http://tinyurl.com/nu26jt ) I haven't gotten the time yet to switch over from RC to RTM (I have it downloaded but have been way busy).

m
l
August 17, 2009 4:14:01 PM

Data...: yes I know, but there is a certain point where it cannot get any faster. I believe 7 would boot in about 15 seconds, which isn't 2x as fast.
m
l
August 17, 2009 5:35:03 PM

nah. windows 7 is just more tolerable than Vista. XP is still the way to go for a fast and annoying free computer.

windows 7 is just vista with some junk removed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2009 6:01:25 PM

The interesting thing about W7, and to a lessor degree, Vista is, the more cores on the cpu, the faster the OS will operate overall, which was and is extremely limited on xp, as it has many global blocks for MT usage, and its main advantage is just being DRM free, whereas both Vista and W7 have to carry that burden
I hate DRM, without it, wed see both Vista and W7 stomping xp right now
m
l
August 17, 2009 6:11:42 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
The interesting thing about W7, and to a lessor degree, Vista is, the more cores on the cpu, the faster the OS will operate overall, which was and is extremely limited on xp, as it has many global blocks for MT usage, and its main advantage is just being DRM free, whereas both Vista and W7 have to carry that burden
I hate DRM, without it, wed see both Vista and W7 stomping xp right now

How does DRM kill performance? I don't know anything about it and am interested in why that would matter.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2009 6:46:32 PM

Understand this tho, until W7 is out, and running on a certified DX11 driver, and HW,with everything finalized, Id wait for results, and we dont have long to wait
m
l
!