Overheat problem? or...

nadavhalevi

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Yeah, so I have that overheat problem. I don't know that it's overheat for sure, but I assume it is, because random every-now-and-then crashes occur only when I play my "graphically challenging" games.

From past experience I know that kind of problem when the game stops, and you have to reboot because nothing else works. Since then, I fixed the problem using an overclocking application called "EVGA Precision", raising my fans to work from about 30% to 70%. Recently something went wrong and the crashes returned. So in order to check the temperature of the GPU, I downloaded "GPU-Z" to track my fans.

Here's what I found:

When my fans' speed is at 100%, they do ~3762 RPM and my GPU temperature is 59-61 °C (never below it)
That's when I'm not doing anything.

Now, when I play a game (I use Prototype for testing because although the graphics suck, I sometimes find myself surrounded by flying objects, animations and all that crap on screen at once. IT FRIES my graphic card), it goes:

GPU temperature 71-76 °C. The game crashes after about 20-30 minutes of playing, usually when the temperature is 75-76 °C+ , but I think it can also happen below that temperature.

So to make sure if it's really overheat, I changed my fans' speed to work at 40%. That's 1060 RPM and GPU temperature 70-71 °C while not doing anything.

Now, when I played Prototype again, the GPU heat went up to 83 °C!!!........and crashed after 5 minutes.

So although my GPU was able to reach that kind of heat, it didn't survive much. The bottom line is that either way, my computer crashes... and I can't raise my fans' speed above 100%. Oh, and don't suggest RivaTuner please, because it doesn't support my graphic card for some reason. And yes, all drivers updated.

My system specs:

Operating system: Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
RAM: 4 GB
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz 2.33 GHz

Any kind of help will be appreaciated. Thank you!!!