Need some water cooling OC i7 2600K advice

cheetah222222

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hi

I really need some advice, if I may, as while I am very interested in PCs and gaming, I am not a hardcore enthusiast.

I would like to have an extreme gaming PC built but, unfortunately, I don't know enough to be able to fully spec it out, and I will need a company to build it for me.

My budget is up to US$10,000, but I would be more comfortable at around 5K or 6K, which hopefully should allow for the best components. Last time I did a project like this it was some time ago (2003) and I used the nVentiv freezer cooling option on a chipset that was many generations ago.

I am after the very best components, but a stable system, as I don't want to have to repair it all the time. Looking for a 4.6 OC on the processor and a decent OC on the 4 GPU video card set up (2x GeForce GTX 590 3072MB Graphics Card with waterblock cooling from EK or Danger Den).

I was thinking:

1. Case:The Lian Li PC-343B with turnkey liquid cooling installed as shown here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6466/cst-628/Custom_Lian_Li_PC-343B_Full_Liquid_Cooling_Ready_Cube_Case_-_Black.html

2. MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard - really not sure if this is best MOBO for the best OC

3. 16 G RAM - not sure which RAM

4. Really don't know enough about water cooling but EK's site looks cool. The case above has a bunch of water cooling installed turnkey.

5. Corsair HX 1050 Modular 1050W PSU - not sure if this is enough power for the 2 graphics cards and water pumps etc

6. 240GB Corsair Force 3 Solid State Drive for the OS

7. WD Caviar 2G x 3 for 3 secondary HDs

If I can accomplish the impossible and get this kind of OC without masses of noise for cooling the radiators that would be great.

Would love thoughts on components as all the reviews I read limit discussion to certain budgets and do not discuss them in absolute terms.

Best wishes

Welcome cheetah,
Since you are already interested in someone else building this for you, I can recommend some boutique builders. Alienware is a good place to start:
www.alienware.com

Options may be limited though. Here's a few others:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
http://www.pugetsystems.com/nav/deluge/reviews.php
http://www.avadirect.com/?gclid=CN6k1ciS8aoCFSMEQAod3V-zOg
http://www.velocitymicro.com/category-gaming.php?cid=12
http://www.ibuypower.com/IbpPages/IntelLobby.aspx?gclid=CIa5z-eS8aoCFQIEQAod7XnQOw

Happy hunting!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
There are very few reasons to watercool these days.
If you can't fit a good air cooler in, that's a reason.
If you want to rig a system to cool your GPU's also, that's a reason.
If you want it just to look more exotic, that's a reason.
If you want the last few hundred MHz of overclock, that's a reason.
(there might be more reasons)

Toms has built some really good machines in the past for a budget of about $2k. You can improve on those a little bit if you spend more money, but it's more a matter of buying what parts you like vs. the parts that do the job.

cheetah222222

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Thank you Buzznut. I live in Hong Kong, so suspect I will need to find someone who can build it here. Which will be the second challenge once I spec the components. Not explored shipping internationally, but suspect that that may not be the best way to go.

The issue with Alienware is that there is some significant inflexibility in design components, plus a max stock OC of 4.1. Plus although I am cool with a large budget, it is ion the context of getting better components for that budget. Alienware has a big mark-up. Admittedly with great service and no language issues (I don't speak cantonese)

Cadder - as you say - The reason for water is to crank the GPUs as well as the CPU and also (hopefully) the radiator fans will be quieter than an air cool config so no jet fighter taking off when I am gaming (except in the game).

Cadder - did you mean that Tomshardware builds machines?

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
hello bro, for serius overclocking i will recomend you getting Asus Maximus IV Z68 Socket = 359.99

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Maximus-IV-Extreme-Motherboards/dp/B005584ZEO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314505097&sr=8-2

PSU i will recomend a 1500w -silverstone, it is kind of overkill but if you can buy it DO IT xD
http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-ST1500-CrossFire-Certified-Modular/dp/B002BH3Z84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314505488&sr=8-1

16GB RAM = 2 of these
http://www.amazon.com/2000MHz-Gaming-240-Pin-Channel-AX3U2000GC4G9B-DG2/dp/B004BU56OU/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1314505395&sr=8-17

I TOOK THE LIBERTY OF GOING INTO IBUYPOWER and build you a PC that will fit your gaming needs for the rest of your life take a look at it

i dont recomend you gettin liquid colling if you dont know how to install it or if you dont know someone who can do it for you, so i hacdpicked every piece in this PC to make it REALLY FREEZING COOL and QUIETE

here it is i hope you like it IT HAS EVERYTHING i7 2600k, liquid cooled CPU with dual fans, noises isolating system, dual GTX 590 , ULTRA HIGH END SOUND CARD AND HEADSETS + 5.1 SOUNDRROUND SYSTEM, package protection, pro wiring, DUAL 3D MONITORS , AND EVERYTHING HERE IT IS:

1 x Case ( Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Gaming Case - Black )
1 x Case Lighting ( Sleeved LED Case Lighting - Blue )
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( Advanced - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System )
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )
1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow) )
1 x Memory ( 16 GB [4 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance )
1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 - 3GB - Single Card )
1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA )
1 x Free Stuff ( [Free Game Voucher] - Dungeon Siege 3 - Free with Purchase of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 or above )
1 x Free Stuff ( [Free Game Download] - Just Cause 2 - Free with Purchase of NVIDIA Video Card )
1 x Motherboard ( [3-Way SLI] ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z -- 2x Gb LAN, 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16, 8x USB 3.0, On-Board Bluetooth, ucid Virtu Techonology )
1 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( SSD Cache - 60 GB Corsair Force Series GT SATA-III 6Gb/s )
1 x Power Supply ( 1500 Watt -- SilverStone ST1500 )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 240 GB Corsair Force Series 3 F240 SSD - Dual 240GB Drives (480GB Capacity) - RAID 0 High Performance )
1 x Data Hard Drive ( 3 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( [12X Blu-Ray] Pioneer BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black )
1 x 2nd Optical Drive ( [12X Blu-Ray] Pioneer BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black )
0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )
1 x Meter Display ( NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum Fan Control, Clock, and Temperature Display )
0 x USB Expansion ( None )
1 x Sound Card ( Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series )
1 x Network Card ( Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card )
1 x Operating System ( None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only )
1 x Keyboard ( Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )
1 x Mouse ( Razer Naga Epic 17-button MMOG Wired/Wireless Gaming Mouse )
1 x Mouse ( Razer Ironclad Gaming Mouse Mat w/ Ultra-Smooth Sandblasted Surface )
1 x Monitor ( 23" LCD 1920x1080 -- ASUS VG236H 3D-Ready 120Hz )
0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )
1 x Monitor Cable ( 30 ft. DVI to HDMI Cable (Resolution up to 1080P) )
1 x Monitor Cable ( 15 ft. DVI to DVI Cable (DVI-D Dual Link, resolution up to 2048x1536 ) )
1 x Speaker System ( Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround 3D Sound Speakers + Subwoofer - Black )
1 x Headset ( Razer Megalodon Gaming Headset )
0 x Video Camera ( None )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation! )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis )
1 x Advanced Build Options ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring )
0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )
1 x Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

ALL FOR 5.888,00$

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
OOOOH I FORGOT TO ADD the compter i quoted is come built out of the box, no need to assamble anything, just hook it to the wall and install windows and every game u want! BTW with that setup i listed you will be able to get EASILY a 4.6 OC and crank the hell out of the GPU`s

cheetah222222

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Awesome. Thank you sgtopmobile. As I live in Hong Kong I will get the components and find someone to build it here

So the evolved spec is the following.

Case: The Lian Li PC-343B with turnkey liquid cooling installed as shown here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/ [...] Black.html

PSU SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Silver Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro Motherboard - really not sure if this is best MOBO for the best OC

RAM: 2x A-Data USA 8 GB 2000MHz Gaming Series V.2.0 2200 (PC3 17600) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (2x4 GB) 4 Dual Channel Kit Memory AX3U2000GC4G9B-DG2

Video cards: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 - 3GB

Really don't know enough about water cooling but EK's site looks cool. The case above has a bunch of water cooling installed turnkey.

240GB Corsair Force 3 Solid State Drive for the OS

WD Caviar 2G x 3 for 3 secondary HDs

Any views on the best MOBO?

This is the one in the spec above:

[3-Way SLI] ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z -- 2x Gb LAN, 4x PCI-E 2.0 x16, 8x USB 3.0, On-Board Bluetooth, ucid Virtu Techonology

Is this the best way to go?

cheetah222222

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Quick question:

Not sure what this is in the spec above (didn't know you can define a cache drive): 1 x Intel Smart Response Technology ( SSD Cache - 60 GB Corsair Force Series GT SATA-III 6Gb/s )

Also, for the OS SSD - does RAID 0 make SSD faster?

cheetah222222

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
On the cooling.

If I do not go with the turnkey water system built into the case above, what do you recommend for radiators, pumps, waterblocks etc.

Would be cool with an external radiator if you think this is better and hoping to save on noise without sacrificing chill factor.

I was thinking of just calling the EK guys, telling them which components and case (the big ass Lian Li) and asking them to send the best stuff they make for this config . . . .

Z68 is considered the best for LGA1155. If you want you could go with a 6 core and X58 and triple channell memory. That's what you'd need for the 990X extreme. Although for gaming typically the newer core i5/i7 is just as fast if not faster.

If you can find someone better than ibuypower to build your machine where you live, that would be cool. Still I think one of the boutiqes could handle international shipping for such a large purchase.

Buying your own water cooling system as opposed to a self contained system means performing maintenance on the thing. Just be forewarned.

cheetah222222

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Thank you, Buzznut.

Certainly Z68 as you suggest.

Buzznut, what do you think of the Lian Li case with the frozenpc mod? Whoever builds it locally, I will set up a maintenance relationship. Or could do some myself. I am cool with intermediate stuff but not advanced.

Will check out the shipping options.

Someone posted that Toms have built systems - did they mean Tomshardware?

Did you have a link for that Lian Li case?

I think someone was referring to the fact that Toms has systems configured for you depending on budget. If Toms hardware site has prebuilt systems I am not aware of this or where to find it.