Your question

Crystal Disk Mark ssd score question

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Crystal
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 27, 2011 10:42:24 AM

Hey can someone explain to me the importance of higher 4k Qd32 results for and ssd drive? I don't understand what this test shows and how it relates to everyday usage. If my read score are 70Mb/s and write score is 43MB/s but my friends score are 196 read and 248 write what software/task will the higher score benefit him?
Thanks for any replies.

More about : crystal disk mark ssd score question

April 27, 2011 2:06:50 PM

Fast boot,Fast applications access,Fast installation,a drive that can give.
m
l
a c 313 G Storage
April 27, 2011 3:42:04 PM

Interesting question. Unfortunately web sites that publish reviews do not adequately explain synthetic benchmarks. Practical examples for typical users are almost always missing. It creates a situation in which users sometimes misinterpret the benchmarks

Out of curiosity I visited the official Crystal Disk web site. Very very little information at the English language version of the web site. Could be because Crystal Disk is a Japanese outfit. Odd though.

Next I tried searching for explanations. The results were not any better. There were no adequate explanations expressed in practical terms a user could relate to - just a lot of technical jargon.

BTW - While searching I noticed you and other users asking the same question in other forums. Results were not encouraging.

vishal - Yes, installing and starting programs is faster but what about ssd performfance while doing things with software applications? That is the problem with the technical reviews. There is a distinct lack of information.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 27, 2011 4:07:51 PM

multitasking performance will go up.

Think of the SSD as sort of a big pie. Windows is a pig and likes to hoard as much as it can before anyone else even gets in there to eat. Think of the tasks as a being devided up amongst what's left and it's very easy to see how some slices could become very small. The more you do?.. the smaller the slices become.

This is where raid helps tremendously as the performance goes up as more channels are added. The pie gets bigger and there's plenty to go around.

Another easy "real life" scenario would be to compare an Indilinx based drive to a Sandforce based model. Although the latency/snappiness is much improved on Sandforce over the Indilinx.. it's the small random file performance(IOPS) improvement of the Sandforce that really shows when doing anything more than a few simple tasks at once.

In fact, you can actually force an Indilinx drive into a sluggish state with some actual wait time(ohh.. the agony!, lol) while tasks are performed whereas you have to really be a good multitasker and pushing quite hard to even see it occur on the Sandforce drive. Raids make it virtually impossible to see any lag despite what you would throw at the drives all at once.
m
l
a c 313 G Storage
April 27, 2011 6:10:31 PM

groberts101 - I think you missed the point and went off on a tangent.

Here's the OP's question: "If my read score are 70Mb/s and write score is 43MB/s but my friends score are 196 read and 248 write what software/task will the higher score benefit him?"

Another way to state the question: What software or task would benefit from higher 4k Qd32 results in the Crystal Disk Mark ssd benchmarks?

Gamers version of the question: Would a game like Crysis2 or any other game benefit from higher 4k Qd32 results in the Crystal Disk Mark ssd benchmarks?

Practical version of the question: Would the Adobe Photoshop "autosave" feature benefit from higher 4k Qd32 results in the Crystal Disk Mark ssd benchmarks?
m
l
a b G Storage
April 27, 2011 6:31:09 PM

not at all. just look at the first line of text in my response? then I go on to explain how that benefit relates to the deeper q-depths at greater load. Then I even go so far as to compare older gen drives to newer ones for comparing those actual numbers/increases in real life usage.

and to actually answer that question above specifically?.. yes.. PS would save the file more quickly if the current tasking level of the drive was already being stressed to the level that greater bandwidth was required. Many things going on in the background for an OS and drives/arrays with greater q-depth strength will have much more lowend grunt to power through them without any perceptional losses.

And I thought the pie analogy would be enough to picture the scenario and was quite proud of myself for coming up with that one after only 4 1/2 hrs of sleep. lol
m
l
!