Sign in with
Your question

New Windows 7 Update for Advanced Format Drives

Last response: in Storage
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
April 27, 2011 3:50:35 PM

Just an FYI - my Windows 7 system received some Windows Update patches today, among which was KB982018 - "An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks". It updates to several Windows components, the details of which are described in this knowledge base article.

I installed it on my system without any issues. The only Advanced Format drives I have are a pair of 2TB WD20EARS drives that I use for archiving. I connected them via my USB 3.0 dock and ran "FSUTIL FSINFO NTFSINFO D:" to see if the updated version of FSUTIL reported the larger physical sector size - it was reported as "<Not Supported>" - so I have a feeling that USB drives aren't going to benefit from this update.

Edit - for those who aren't familiar with the term, "Advanced Format" is Western Digital speak for drives that have physical sector sizes of 4096 bytes instead of the normal 512 bytes. Using larger physical sector sizes allows them to pack a little more data onto each platter, but the drive firmware has to simulate 512-byte-sector sizes to the host since most systems expect that. More info in this pdf file.
a c 228 $ Windows 7
a c 372 G Storage
April 27, 2011 4:05:14 PM

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Related resources
!