Hot Swapping with 2TB drives--windows not giving them enough time to s

chockomonkey

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Rest of title: ...spin up!

A few months ago we decided to upgrade our backup HDD's in size. So we got some 2TB drives to replace our 1TB drives.

The 2TB drives, however, wouldn't show up in windows when hot swapped--a restart was necessary (and they always showed up in the BIOS). I posted here and got some suggestions to try a new sata/raid controller, but that didn't end up having any effect.

This morning I decided to check google for anything new on this issue, and sure enough there was some blog post which followed my journey to the letter, even down to calling microsoft and western digital tech supports and having them point the finger at each other

The problem he concludes is that the operating system is simply not giving these larger drives enough time to spin up. To test this theory, I did what he did: put my 2TB drive in the bay without the sata cable plugged in. Powered up the drive. Then plugged the sata cable back into the back of the bay. Sure enough, there pops up my drive!

The solution this blogger gives is a hotfix for windows 7: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178 which unfortunately does me no good because this server is running Win 2003 SBS... and I can't seem to find any similar hotfixes for my version of windows.

Anyone dealt with this and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Chocko