Sign in with
Your question

HELP!! OCing i7 965x

Last response: in Overclocking
August 28, 2011 8:23:27 PM

Anyone who can help will be much appreciated.

I am relatively new to ocing. I had an i7 920 with an Asus p6t mobo for the last 2 years. TO overclock, I just set the ai-tweaker in bios to XMP, changed the frequency to 200, and the Ram to 1866. These were the only things i changed, and I was getting a 4.02ghz stable CPU speed. I left it that way for 2 years and never had any issues with stability. Recently, I switched to the older i7 965, which was the original "extreme edition" $1000 CPU when the i7s first came out. I figured since its a thousand bucks, OCing would be much easier, especially with an unlocked multuplier. I set the multiplier to 28, and the frequency to 145. I know it should be able to OC much higher than my 920, but i figured 4ghz is plenty, and going to 4ghz on a 965 is less of a jump than on a 920, so I figured my temps would be much improved. Bottom line, I have tried multiple combinations of multipliers and frequencies and I cannot get this CPU to overclock at all. It either freezes on start up, or crashed the second I load anyhting in windows. Can someone please just tell me exactly what numbers to punch in to Bios for voltage, frequencies, etc? Ive looked at all the overclocking guides but they just explain the general concept. I literally want a step by step walkthru of exactly what to type into Bios for a 4.0 - 4.5 ghz OC, without having to do any testing and thinking or trial and error. Can anyone please help me with this? Just tell me what I need to punch in.

Here are my hardware specs:

Mobo - Asus P6T (regular, not the deluxe or deluxe v2)
Cpu - Core i7 965 Extreme
Ram - 6 gigs Corsair (tri-channel for socket 1366)
Video - Geforce GTX 580 Superclocked Edition (eVGA)
HDD - Boot drive - 60 gig Intel SSD - Storage Drives - 3 1.5 TB WD Caviar Green Drives (no raid)
PSU - 1000 Watt Corsair

Custom water cooling loop for CPU - Apogee XT water block, 3x120mm Rad, w/ the MCP655 pump (or whatever its called I forget exactly).

More about : ocing 965x

August 30, 2011 3:32:18 PM

come on guys, 53 views and no one has any ideas for me?
m
l
August 30, 2011 3:44:27 PM

From what I have seen nobody will give you an exact answer on what to do. Every OC is a little different because not all CPU's and Mobo's act exactly the same. They all have their little personalities. Thats why some CPU's will clock higher or lower than the same CPU that someone else bought.

There is a risk of frying hardware when you OC. So also from a liability standpoint people will also only give you the "Well this is what I would try if I were you" scenario.

Best bet is to find out what the safe voltages and temperatures are for your CPU and slowly work up the multiplier and when you can boot into Windows, but crashes when apps start try turning up the vcore a little and repeat and stay within safe ranges and monitor it closely with benchmark and monitoring tools.

I am new to OC'ing but this is what I did and it worked for me so far. I hit a wall at 4.4ghz on my machine, then diabled some more things in BIOS and upped my vcore a bit and I was able to get up to 4.7ghz and still in a range that would operate well, but I was getting too close to my max wattage for the CPU so I turned down the clocking a bit and adjusted the vcore back down slightly.
m
l
Related resources
August 31, 2011 12:33:58 AM

in my bios it doesnt label it as the vcore. it just says Cpu Voltage. But yea i understand what your saying, but im just confused. Wouldn't you think that intel's thousand dollar enthusiast CPU with an unlocked multiplier should be easier to overclock than there lowest end CPU? again, my 920 got up to 4.02ghz on my very first try by changing 2 frequency settings. Literally, i built my rig, and on the first boot I was in bios for 30 seconds and was stable at 4.02 and never touched it again. Now, I switch to the thousand dollar CPU that was "built for overclocking" and its stock speed is 3.2, and I cant even get it to 3.8 without changing tons of settings and being in bios for an hour, and even then windows still crashes.

I understand the build quality of each chip will vary, but call me old fashioned, when I shell out a thousand dollars, I expect each cheap to be in that upper echelon of quality automatically. The deviation in quality shouldnt be as high as it is in its 300 dollar counterpart.
m
l
August 31, 2011 7:18:42 PM

Have you changed the CPU voltage at all? What is it currently set at? I wonder if the new CPU requires more power and you had it set to what the CPU took out needed? Do you know the min/max voltage the CPU needs? How do those compare to what your BIOS is set up?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 22, 2011 5:29:13 PM

I hate to revive an old thread but did you get an answer? I also had an i7 920 which I had running at a stable 3.8GHz 24/7 and bought an i7 965 thinking I was upgrading. Ihave similar problems. With my 920 I simply used a bclk of 200 with a 19 multiplier(4GHz ran stable but 10 degrees hotter than 3.8Ghz) and I did have increase the Vcore to 1.275 to get a stable OC but that was it. With the 965, leaving the bclk at 133MHz and simply using the multiplier would not let me get past 3.65 even with a vcore of 1.375 I changed the bclk to 160 with multiplier of 25 and a vcore of 1.3V and my system would only crash after 10 min or so running prime 95. I am not sure what the hell is happening and I cannot find any decent info on the web.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 24, 2011 10:49:17 AM

Success! Here was my problem. I always kept my Vcore at or below 1.375V since that is what the data sheet said was max operating temp. This was also due to all of the crap info that I read on the web where everyone was saying to not exceed 1.4V. I found an intel data sheet for all i7 900 series processors and the max Vcore according to page 22 is 1.55V which is where the colour in my BIOS changes from white to purple so this makes sense. Here are my settings currently Vcore 1.4V bclk 133x29 = 3.86GHz. Disable turbo and any power save features that may donwnclock the cpu. 12 hours prime 95 with max coretemp of 75 degrees C on this system:

i7 965 EE
Gigabyte x58-usb3
12GB Patriot Viper Extreme pc3 16000 @ 1866MHz
Antec 620 hydro cooler

Using a higher bclk for me resulted in a slightly higher core temp. If you do use a higher bclk you need to increase the qpi/vtt to maintain stability. Also, I was able to hit 4.26GHz with a multiplier of 32 but my core temps hit 80 degreees fast but it did run stable on prime 95. My Vcore at 4.0Ghz was 1.4v, 4.13 GHz was 1.45 and 4.26GHz was 1.52V. If you disable hyperthreading, you will run with a slightly less core temp and a slightly lower Vcore. These voltages are all while running prime 95. I found with a bclk of 166 1.55v was not enough to power the cpu at 4.3 GHz so the default bclk for this cpu looks like your best shot.

Good Luck!
m
l
!