Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

SSD (non-RAID) + 2x HDD (RAID 0), possible?

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 27, 2011 6:32:30 PM

I'm sorry if this has been asked but I wasn't able to find anything. I've never done RAID before and I need to know if what I'm trying to do is possible, and if so where to start. Any tips at all would be appreciated! Working with:

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth x58
SSD: Intel 320 120GB (Win7 x64)
HDD: 2x WD Green 1TB 8MB

I've also got a 1.5TB 32MB WDG that I may add to the RAID array, assuming I'm able to create it with a standalone SSD for my OS

More about : ssd raid hdd raid

April 28, 2011 9:16:11 AM

I am also upgrading my new build with an SSD Crusical C300 to put OS and a couple games on and will have two WD Black Caviar 640Gb each in SATA III 6.0 with my 2 Tb Toshibia 6.0 as my backup of everything. I know it will work, but getting someone to post one how to do it is fustrating at times. Just be patient and ask again if you do not get an answer in 2 to 3 days. I think mine is just a little ahead of yours by a day. Same question though, " how to you set it up in RAID 0 to and the OS on SSD." I have found out that it is better to have identical HD for RAID 0 With the money I saved vs the Vertex 3 I got a blu-ray burner and some disk and will be moving alot of stuff to blu-ray to keep my free space to under 60%. Just a tweak I have learned over the years when it comes to defragmentinging. Plus your blu-ray will not crash and leave you with nothing.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 28, 2011 12:06:18 PM

OP,

i'm not familiar with the sabertooth x58 but it looks to be a high end board similar to the one i own. asus rampage III extreme IROG.

if your motherboard has the integrated raid program and software disk then setting up a raid array is easy. look in the manual to verify that you have this program and what F key to press to access.

this program literally allows you to select the two, pick what raid type you want (its semi intelligent so it will know how many drives you need!) and link them up all with minimal hassle. the included windows software even includes a few diagnostics when you're all done.

----

if it were me i'd get the windows install (ssd) set up first and then add the raid array afterwards but this is completely up to you.

remember, you will want to raid drives that are the same brand, model & capacity. some raid types will work with different drives but in general avoid this.

i've never set up a raid as my non-boot, but i don't see it as an issue and i know others have done the same. since all the drives are uniquely labeled figuring out which drives are which shouldnt be a hassle.

----

m
l