Video card - on-board graphics
PSU - Thermalke TR2-430w
ATI TV Card
Generic DVD Burner
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
Hitachi Deskstar 2TB

I'm not a gamer. I use this system for HD video rendering.

My computer started having BSOD. After OC, I went back to stock bios everything, but still having BSOD. At first I thought it was memory, I tried additional voltage for memory. Stock is 1.5v, but they are rated 1600 at 1.65v. Changed to 1.65v still had the problem even with lower timings 1333. I tested the memory sticks with Widows 7 memory diagnostic tool. Windows diagnostic tool said they were working and found no issues.

I tried using Kingston DDR3 Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX but I had the same problem.

I found if I use my memory in dual channel mode, the system crashed but if I only put two sticks of memory so they were not in dual mode, the system wouldn't crash even under stress test. I reported the issue to Asus because I thought I might have a motherboard problem. They sent a replacement. I changed the MOBO with the replacement.

Now, I'm having a similar problem but instead of BSOD. My computer runs but the screen freezes. If my computer is doing a job like recording a show, it still records, but my screen is frozen. My mouse or clock doesn't move on the screen. Nothing is OC now, but still having problem.

I've checked for viruses, updated video driver, even rolled back some MS updates but still have the same problem. I tried using stock auto memory timings, reduced the memory timings to manual, reset all mobo bios to stock but still have the same problem in dual channel mode. My temps are fine. I'm not overclocking. For it to crash in dual mode, it doesn't appear to be software specific. It happens randomly.

In order for it to not crash, I'm running my memory in Unganged mode (but that restricts me to using only two sticks). It doesn't occur unganged with two sticks, but I would like to use all four. Any ideas on what is causing my computer to freeze. What might cause a system to freeze with 2 or 4 sticks in dual channel but not same 2 sticks in unganged? Could I have a processor issue? Anyway to test to know for sure?

ivoteforpedro

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I left the two memory sticks unganged (which I haven't had trouble in production). I attempted to use memtest86. It ran and passed one test, however, it froze at 53 minutes. It didn't display any errors but wouldn't let me hit escape. Reading through memtest86 info, they state very hard to determine if processor or memory issue. Seems strange to be memory if I have two brands, Kingston and Corsair, that are doing the same thing. Anyway to further diagnose?

ivoteforpedro

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Because the last memtest86 froze, I reran it last night. I didn't change any configuration (still only using 2 sticks of memory in unganged). This time it went through the night passing 8 tests and 0 errors and was still running when I hit escape. I plan to try different memory configuration tonight with memtest86 using dual channel.