NH D14 or H80?

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hey,
I was wondering if I should get a d14 or a h80 with noctua fan? Don't factor in price right now, what do you guys think in terms of performance and noise? Thanks

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
as great as the d14 is the H80 is actually quite good...the difference between the two is very minimal...only by a few degrees...in a lotof cases the h80 comes out on top...looks better, performs quite well, and belongs to a very reputable company! H80 all the way baby

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I like both, but the problem I see with the H80 is the noise. I've been browsing reviews and videos and one of the things that stands out with Corsair water cooling is the noise. What are your noise level of your H80, and do you think I should replace them with NF-P12s to get the best of both?

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I'm getting 52 Idle and 95 in game, which I think is high. I have low profile memory so RAM height not issue. One thing of concern is the height of the D14 and weight. I have a ft03 case and I think it fits up to 165mm heat sinks. However, the measurements might be a bit off since it said it fits 12' video but when I put a 580 in, I had to lower the angled fans. And also weight, since the mobo is mounted with IOs facing up, will there be difference weight distributions as when IOs face out?

beenthere

Distinguished
H2O cooling is over priced and over rated IMO. The good systems cost hundreds of dollars. The Corsair H80 is a mediocre system. See the Corsair forums for those who have damaged their PC hardware with H2O leaks... The link below shows actual Top Five air-cooled HSFs for Intel and AMD CPUs and also H2O coolers. Any of the Top Ten A/C HSFs should serve you well.

http://www.frostytech.com/

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
compared to the thousands upon thousands of happy h-** owners ,leaks are a very rare problem...the product performs incredibly well and you pay for what you get...and in this case, it;s a very good cooler.. of course, at the end of the day it simply boils down to preference...I have never been a fan of water cooling..but aesthetics and performance are key in my book..this cooler provides them both...whether it is better than its predecessors is up for debate...but, good tim and the cooler will give you great performance

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
What swear word start with h and has a hyphen in it?
1. Is there some sort of leak protection in the warranty of the liquid coolers?
2. If it leaks, does my warranty for other products cover this?
3. If I get liquid cooling, is there some trick that I can do to decrease change of leak or at least contain one if it happens? Like duct take on joints or something?

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
I have an H-70 which is much like the H-80. The system is closed and should not leak and requires no maintenance. If u truly are paranoid about leaks then yes glue, tape or putty will help.
Personally, I have had many aircoolers and was reluctant to try a "lesser" water setup. I didn't want to get to involved in buying a bunch of parts for a "real" water system nor figure out how to install it all. I'm lazy that way.

I can tell you that yes the stock fans for the H-70 and its close cousin the H-80 are stupid gross and will annoy you. I had to swap them out for some gentle typhoons I think it was. Cfm and static pressure for the win. MUCH better now.
As far as heat performance, the H-70/80 is very capable. It may not be the absolute chart topping monster but to be honest that isnt necessary unless u got one of the very few chips that actually hits 4.8GHz or more. I am very satisfied. My i7 2600k@4.6GHz runs 3hour renders (100%CPU use) at a 68c max. That's totally coooool with me.

The best part is that the H-70/80 will clean up ur internal case environment. This gives you cooler temps and air flow on your other components and allows easy access to them. Both of these facts are important.
Buy a H-80 from a local store...install...if no likey take it back. No fowl and lesson learned.
Ps. The clean sleekness of a water cooling setup is intoxicating....at any price point. All that clutter from an air setup...gone.

I use my PC alot and demandingly as I am a product engineer utilizing CAD and rendering programs. My two cents in the bucket. Hope it helps.

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Thanks for the replies. H70 and H80 will definitely help me with my case layout, I am using the Fortress ft03, and space inside is tight. The annoying thing is to have to buy some good low noise fans after I buy the cooler. But I don't think I can buy it then return it without paying restocking fee.

JdotH

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Web search successful cooling setups for your case. I would hate to see you buy either of these and they not fit in that "tight" case.

Before I moved to the H-70 I had just bought a aircooler called something "V8". It worked but I couldnt shut the door on my Antec 1200 case which isn't small. So I took it back and got the H-70. It totally freed up the internals. I can easily get to parts now. I have swapped three CPUs with it too. It's easy to use and not in the way. If u go with a water setup try two install configurations:
InFront pulling air in.
InBack sucking air from case out through radiator.
You will get different temps depending on your case.

Good Luck

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
H80 is the update to the H70...similar sized rad, updated pump/block...I believe at most, minor improvements over the H70.

Just FYI...LCS coolers like the H50/H60/H70/H80/H100 aren't considered real watercooling solutions...they are self-contained liquid cooling solutions...similar concepts...but not really the same.