Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel 310 mSATA 80gb + x25-m 80gb = RAID works?

Last response: in Storage
April 27, 2011 7:07:57 PM

Hi guys, I've been reading this article about intel 310 mSATA SSD.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-310-msata...

I've ordered a x220t which supports mSATA, and I currently have a x25-m g2 80gb. I'm wondering if I can RAID those two drives using intel matrix storage drivers if I buy a intel 310 80gb.

Even though the speed of intel 310 is a bit slower compared to the x25-m, I'm willing to spend $180-$190 for the mSATA drive if I can RAID it. This will allow me to use my current x25-m until my next upgrade.
a c 311 G Storage
April 28, 2011 1:51:16 PM

You could, but you probably shouldn't. Can you split your usage into OS on one drive and data on another instead? Among other issues, RAID with SSDs disables the TRIM command, which will lead to write performance degradation (unless the drives implement Garbage Collection and you leave them on but idle overnight).
m
l
April 29, 2011 3:12:07 AM

WyomingKnott said:
You could, but you probably shouldn't. Can you split your usage into OS on one drive and data on another instead? Among other issues, RAID with SSDs disables the TRIM command, which will lead to write performance degradation (unless the drives implement Garbage Collection and you leave them on but idle overnight).

I'm not that worried about no TRIM support since I probably reinstall windows before it gets starts showing the slow downs. Can't I just use Intel SSD tool to do a manual TRIM wipe? Or is that also not supported?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 311 G Storage
April 29, 2011 1:48:08 PM

I may be wrong, but I think that TRIM passes information on what space has been freed up, so it can't be applied after the fact. Garbage Collection is run on some SSDs to detect available blocks, mark them free, and prepare them.

I'd like to point out that reinstalling Windows will not address the problem in any way. From the disk's point of view, it's just a big collection of writes that reduce its stock of available cells. If you take this approach, download the Secure Erase utility and do a Secure Erase of the drive before re-installing. That is done by the drive at the hardware level and, on an SSD, marks every cell as being free.

Finally, there is a key question that I can't answer. If the mSATA slot is controlled by the southbridge, this will work. If it's on a separate controller, then the chipset can't RAID them together. If that is the case, you could still bind them into a RAID0 volume at the OS level.
May 9, 2011 7:24:03 AM

WyomingKnott said:
I may be wrong, but I think that TRIM passes information on what space has been freed up, so it can't be applied after the fact. Garbage Collection is run on some SSDs to detect available blocks, mark them free, and prepare them.

I'd like to point out that reinstalling Windows will not address the problem in any way. From the disk's point of view, it's just a big collection of writes that reduce its stock of available cells. If you take this approach, download the Secure Erase utility and do a Secure Erase of the drive before re-installing. That is done by the drive at the hardware level and, on an SSD, marks every cell as being free.

Finally, there is a key question that I can't answer. If the mSATA slot is controlled by the southbridge, this will work. If it's on a separate controller, then the chipset can't RAID them together. If that is the case, you could still bind them into a RAID0 volume at the OS level.

By reinstalling windows, I meant doing a secure erase every time. Considering the money, I decided not to do raid. Instead, I'm thinking of using my 80gb ssd, then when time is right, I'll just get a bigger ssd. Thanks for your input.
m
l
May 9, 2011 7:24:11 AM

Best answer selected by hp79.
m
l
!