HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hello Tomshardware! Just a quick questionn.

I'm going to be purchasing a X6 1090T soon and overclocking it to about 3.8GHz or maybe even 4.0GHz. This means I need an aftermarket CPU Cooler.

I realize that some of these aftermarket coolers are really big and well... the trouble is, I have a Micro ATX board (GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3) inside of a NZXT M59.

I'm also going to be ordering a GTX 570 in a few weeks.

Now what I want to ask is whether something like the Xigmatek S128264/Thermaltake Frio/or Cooler Master Hyper 212 will fit in fine with the GTX 570 inside as well.

And of the 3 coolers, which one would be most suitable for my rig?
Or please feel free to recommend other coolers!

Thanks!

Solution

Hyper 212+ is great for both overclockers and non-overclockers i get 30C @ stock speed (2.8 GHz) idle mode and 56-60C at full load when the CPU is overclocked to 4.1 i get 45C idle mode and 75-80 full load. if you are fine with this temp get the HYper 212+ but i recommend getting the CM V6GT if it will fit on your case. thermaltake frio has some issues so it might be out of your list

Hyper 212+ for 4.0 GHz overclocking ?

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

I'm assuming from your post that the Hyper 212+ would not be good for 4.0 GHz OC?
If so, what would be safe clocks by using the Hyper 212+?

Hyper 212+ is great for both overclockers and non-overclockers i get 30C @ stock speed (2.8 GHz) idle mode and 56-60C at full load when the CPU is overclocked to 4.1 i get 45C idle mode and 75-80 full load. if you are fine with this temp get the HYper 212+ but i recommend getting the CM V6GT if it will fit on your case. thermaltake frio has some issues so it might be out of your list

Solution

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

Eek. 75-80 Full Load scares me.
I was hoping for 60-65C at full load.

Do you know of any other coolers other than the V6GT (I don't think it'll fit) that will be under $50 or so?

you'll get that degrees with the V6GT it's around 57$ thermaltake frio is about 50$ and great for overclocking but it's noisy and have problems with transferring heat correctly, i suggest you check the reviews first before you buy it

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

I might have to jump on the V6GT. Too bad that it's gigantic and costs two times more than the 212+. ):

How well do you think the temperature will be on full load if I were to only OC to 3.7 GHz w/ the 212+?

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
check out the Scythe Mugen 3

great cooler, a little better than the hyper 212 but also a little more in price.

if you can afford, pick up some Arctic Silver 5 to use with the cooler. I used the thermal paste that came with my Hyper 212 and its great just I would see about 3C less in temp if I had gone with the AS5 paste. I think I might pick some up when I buy my 2nd fan for push pull so my temps will drop more than just with the extra fan or the new paste ^_^

Hhaha yeah. The Arctic Silver 5 seems to be the best one. I've got a couple of tubes just waiting to be used. :D

The Mugen 3 looks nice. But at that price, I feel like I might as well put down the extra $20 or so to get a better cooler .

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
If you are tryna bargain hunt, sites like ebay always have coolers going up for sale just have to hunt down the gg deals from legit buyers lol.

My friend has been doing that alot lately, just picked up a Zalman 9500 for $10 lol....

Dang.. What a bargain haha. Lucky him.

Well, I guess I'll do some hunting. The V6GT is pretty enticing to me right now. Maybe I will jump on that.

Look at a scyth mugen 2 its most liketly the best you can get in the below 50 price range
I have yet to see the scythe mugen 3 or its price, (im not looking)

I know a guy with the v6gt and the scythe mugen 2 they were on par cooling his I7 960
Im not to sure about AMD but I can imagine it would be similar

I like my CM212+ it works very well cooling my C2Q at up to 1.4x V @ 3.8
you might want to step up 1 level at least mugen 2 or V6 gt (not just the v6 or v8)

PS Arctic silver 5 is not what you should be using you will want something better
Check a few reviews and choose something else. AC MX4 is what Im using and it
was the same price as silver 5 but works much better

stock cooler with Hyper 212+ or V6GT isn't that bad too, and what;s wrong with the Arctic Silver 5?

Never above the 65C

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

Hm, that's good to know.

I feel like I will end up overclocking to 4 Ghz sometime in the future so maybe I will just go with a more expensive cooler if I am going to invest in one anyway.

Sorry if this sounds a bit redundant but how about 3.8 with 212+?

3.7 / 3.8 / 3.9 / 4.0 / 4.1 all of that will get the same result as the increase in voltage only increase the heat coming out from the CPU you won't be able to push forward above 4.5 as you'll need a liquid cooling such as liquid nitrogen and such things

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

Been busy with work and haven't had a chance to go and reply to all the replies haha.
I see. I wouldn't need to increase voltage in order to hit 4 Ghz on the 1090T would I?

Or would that all really depend on my system?

Again, thanks for all your guys' help!

you just increase multiplier as long as you have a BE CPU, but for sure yea you need to increase voltage

HarUOne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

ahha. I suppose I will do that.

Alright guys, Thanks so much for your help!! This is why I love Tomshardware forums. :wahoo: