HD4200 (785G) Overclocking

gert21445

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hello I have a HD4200 IGP (785G chipset) and i was wondering what software I could use to overclock it? I can't use BIOS because it is locked by HP. On both the catalyst 11.6b and 11.8 drivers, AMD overdrive causes a blue screen (although the original OEM-installed drivers does not), and MSI afterburner recognizes but does not let me overclock the graphics clock (when I push apply, the clocks reset). Powerstrip does not make any difference, Rivatuner doesn't recognize GPU, nor does AMD GPU Clock Tool. So I am wondering what possiblities I have left. In benchmarks, I saw that a simple 100 mhz increase in the core clock gives around 2-3 fps in games, and I'm not planning on a massive overclock (from stock 500mhz to 600mhz) and keeping stock voltages. Anyone had any luck? Thanks!

Solution
Folks, OCing integrated graphics is simply not a good course of action. These sub-systems have only passive cooling and any additional stress (as in heat) will likely have negative effects on the video system and the mobo as a whole (more so than with a discrete card).

The HD4200 as implemented by most manufacturers will work very well with the standard ATI/AMD drivers (to answer an earlier question).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
IGPs really aren't designed to OC so none of the apps really support them in that fashion. They really can't handle the additional heat and power. Your best bet, by far, is to go with a discrete (stand alone) video card. Even a low-end GPU like a mere HD4550 will run circles around the HD4200.

gert21445

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Because for some reason, AMD overdrive worked when VGA memory was set to auto in BIOS, and I was using OEM-supplied drivers, but when I set VGA to 512 MB (max) and upgraded to Catalyst 11.6b or 11.8, I get blue screen every time I try to increase the IGP clock (even by small amounts). I cannot increase the IGP clock in BIOS tho (HP-locked).

He use 0.9.26 , and it's support for HD4200 and he give stuff guide like this :
1.uninstall ati drivers including folders and
everything
2. goto www.tweakforce.com
3. left hand side should be download button click
that
4. goto ati mobility driver-g for windows 7and vista
32 bit or 64 bit
5.get driverr 11.2m 64 bit for supported operating
system
6. install, restart windows update will pick up the
driver automatically aksing you to restart again.
7. once u have the driver installed get amd gpu clock
tool 0.9.26 from tech power up just google it
8. the default engine will be something like 200
engine and 400 memory and voltage at default
9. recommended settings to overclock engine core
664.5 & memory somewhere around 500-1000 i
recommend u stay near the 700s or 600s
10. set volatge to .20 itll say somewhere on the
bottom voltage with a slide down thing
11. happy overclocking 35-40 percent increase in
games
12.becareful not to cook your graphics card people do
it at your own risk
BUT I don't it working with your system or now.
Good luck man !

gert21445

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Just out of curiousity, does it work with AMD official drivers, because I don't want to install custom/non-certified drivers on my system (and it also looks like they are for laptops instead and I have a desktop). Thanks!

Ari3sgr3gg0

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Just saying you can't oc and hp locked hd4200. Even with various tweaks it doesn't work, I tried with my media pc so when I was feeling lazy I wouldn't have to boot up the laptop but it didn't ever work no matter what program I tried

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Folks, OCing integrated graphics is simply not a good course of action. These sub-systems have only passive cooling and any additional stress (as in heat) will likely have negative effects on the video system and the mobo as a whole (more so than with a discrete card).

The HD4200 as implemented by most manufacturers will work very well with the standard ATI/AMD drivers (to answer an earlier question).

Solution
G

I have ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 motherboard with integrated HD 4290, using ASUS TurboEVO tool (additionally requires GPU driver helper service from "utilities' download section on asus support site).

Stock clocks are:
700 (mhz) GPU Engine clock
1,2 (v) GPU voltage
1333 (mhz ) GPU SidePort Clock (GPU RAM)
1,5 (V) GPU SidePort voltage

It's been running for over a year now at these:

990 (mhz) GPU Engine clock
1,5 (v) GPU voltage
1600 (mhz ) GPU SidePort Clock (sideport RAM)
1,7 (V) GPU SidePort voltage

the tool works with AMD Catalyst 11.5 (2011 May) version driver, any later will BSOD your system when trying to adjust clocks, it happens so because in 11.6+ drivers ATI changed the method for handling GPU speeds, it refers to wrong address in memory responsible for it. ASUS never bothered to update the TurboEVO tool to support new AMD drivers. You could write ASUS support and ask for future support, enough voices might do the trick.

To all the NAY-SAYERS here - boosting your integrated GPU this much gives a nice bump in FPS, enough to play Mass Effect 2/3 at a steady framerate rate on a 19 inch monitor ;)