System will not boot, constant restarting

natsoi

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I have been directed to start my own thread, I've simply posted my original post into this one. It refers to my PC not booting correctly. It will start and die after being on for about 2 seconds or so. I get no BIOS screen, no responce from the monitor etc. The problem is outlined in detail below.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread.

I also have exactly the same problem regarding the start-up of my PC. I'm not really a tinkerer but after having store bought PCs for a few years I decided to take the plunge and build my own.

I assembled the following parts:

Core 2 Duo
Gigabyte GA - 965P - DS4 motherboard
8800GTX graphics card
2GB of Kingston RAM (I forget the detailed specs off the top of my head)

Much like the original poster I had a great time with my homemade machine for about 4-5 months. Suddenly one morning I turned my machine on same as always and it would not boot properly. It starts up, fans run and then dies and will repeat this until I remove the power cord from the PSU. I also have the same click.

I've tried the following to "fix"

Checked all connections

Changed out power supply

Moved RAM to different slots

Started the system with different components removed

Tested the hard-drive in another machine (worked fine)

Took a can of compressed air to the computer in the hopes it would dislodge some dust.

However sometimes it will start fine and run flawlessly for a few days and then revert to how it is now.

I would be great if anyone can walk me through this:

I've done some research on different boards and the next logical step that people suggest seems to be to either remove the battery from the motherboard to reset the BIOS or achieve the same result by shorting the pins next to the battery. I'd be more inclined to remove the battery as a method, is this where I should be heading next?

Just as a side note I've had no problems with system stability even whilst playing games such as Crysis, Far Cry II etc. In fact it's been the most stable PC I've ever had, until now of course.

Thanks and apologies to the original poster I would assume our solutions would be the same, if not I'm sure the mods can direct me to start my own thread.

Duesouth

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
it can be that your cpu is not properly set it place. there has to be a bad contact in a component somewhere or there is a short some where. hence short circuit, hence automatic reboot under 2 seconds. something so simple is sometimes the hardest trouble to find, I suggest strip everything out and restart installing everything slowly. motherboard pins with the little red circles. yes the little red circles sometimes help. do not forget the back shield to the motherboard. please install all screw needed for the motherboard to be properly attached to the case.

once everything is reinstall properly try to run it with the minimum on. no extra fan. can be a pinch wire.

well this should otherwise you might have a defective motherboard.

goodluck