Photodraw and windows XP pro

Alan F

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Hello, I have used Photodraw 2000 for years but now I am unable to load it after reloading XP pro. It is a very useful tool and combines with other photo programmes via bitmap converting to JPG when necessary. Why did microsoft discontinue a programme that worked well and in some aspects out performs curent Photo software? Alan F.

Solution

I totally agree with you Allan .If you you find any similar photgraphic software to Photodraw that will operate on XP and or Wndows 7 I hope you will be kind enought to let me know.

Am am thinking about purching a second hand Windows 2000 computer so I can use Phot draw david.bowles@dsl.pipex.com

The same reason they stopped support for products like MS Picture it; They weren't making any $$$$ on it.

Now, to your problem: Are you saying it worked under Pro, you reinstalled Pro and now it is not able to install from a CD ?

Alan F

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Yes. Microsoft suggested copying the disc to hard drive and reload from there but it dd exactly the same. The disc partly loaded but then stopped with the message,Microsoft has a problem and has to close.

David Bowles

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

I totally agree with you Allan .If you you find any similar photgraphic software to Photodraw that will operate on XP and or Wndows 7 I hope you will be kind enought to let me know.

Am am thinking about purching a second hand Windows 2000 computer so I can use Phot draw david.bowles@dsl.pipex.com

Solution

Alan F

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Hi David No joy from anyone but I am still hoping. i am trying an old version of XP tomorrow but thought Microsoft might have given us older users a patch or something to let us use our files. I don't have the room to set up two computers, feel a bit let down by Msoft. Hope you also find something I have not given up asking around. All the best Alan F

Alan F

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

Hi David. I just bought an older Computer with a previous edition of windows for $50. Included Sreen Mouse and Keyboard and Speakers. I have copied all my Mix files to it and saved them as JPEG or Bitmap to be safe. I have made space for it so I can still work with Photodraw. If I find another programme I will let you know. Regards Alan F.

Landbridge

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
A lot of people have had this problem - there is a quick and simple solution.
You need a single file from the Installation CD's for PhotoDraw. The file is JPEGIM32.FLT. You will have select the disc via "My Computer" and run a search with the file name above. Copy it manually into your PD installation where it will have been replaced, annoyingly, by an earlier MS auto update (some years back in my case). To find the replacing offender, you need to run a search on your PD installation you,ll find the offending file (mine was in C > Program Files > Common Files > Microsoft Shared > GRPHFLT ) which you need to delete and replace it with the one from the install CD (simply re-installing Photodraw will not replace it). That will do the trick (I have fixed 4 PCs using the method).
I could post the file here, if it is possible?
By the way I whole heartedly agree with other posts here. Photodraw was an inspired and indispensible piece of software without peer at present. The replacement programs (eg Picture-It also from MS) were rubbish and were quickly abandoned by users, rather than was the case with PhotoDraw where MS pulled the rug on the program and left loyal customers high and dry.